• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1931 S Mercury Dime RPM?

7 posts in this topic

I rarely post here, but would like to share my recent purchase on eBay, because I think it maybe important to Mercury dime variety collector.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131634216685?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I stumble upon it, and offer this seller a decent price which I normally wont do for the over rated condition its in. I was over sea for a few weeks before actually got the chance to look at it at hand.

I do not believe it to be an RPM. I only know of one variety for the date, a DDO FS-101 where doubling is visible on the date. I used to have one in PCGS MS66FB. That doesn't mean there aren't other varieties for the 31-S, just that I have not seen any and I do not believe that to be one either. Keep up the hunt, good luck!

Welcome to the forum. I can see something going on above the mint mark but I can't tell what it is. The dirt in that area makes it tough to see. An acetone bath might help.

I definitely see what you're seeing. Well separated above the S appears to show the entire top loop of a secondary S. As suggested, a properly applied acetone bath could clear the dirt off the mint mark and reveal a nice S/S. Good luck. :)