• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this planchet error common?

3 posts in this topic

I came across this 2001-D Kennedy Half missing the clad layer on the reverse in a $100 (Mixed P&D) bag from the Mint. It is classified as a I-D-5, "Clad Blank or Planchet with a Clad Layer Missing". It weighs 9.1g (+ or - .05g). According to Herbert's "Mint Errors", the Rarity Level is 5-6 which means there can be anywhere from 10-1000 existing.

Can anyone familiar with this kind of error tell me if there are any pops on it?

Has anyone ever seen another Kennedy with this error?

Is the Rarity Level inclusive of all denominations, years and/or mintmarks?

Or, is it exclusive to each denomination, year and/or mintmark?

How would one go about determing a value for this coin?

In case you're wondering, I don't have any plans to sell it. I guess you could say that it's like a golfer who hits his first hole-in-one. This is the first time that I have ever found a coin like this! Any background information would really be appreciated.

Chris

I don't know a thing about this kind of error but it sounds pretty interesting. cool.gif

Now, get your damn scanner working! sumo.gifwink.gif

Hoot

I don't know a thing about this kind of error but it sounds pretty interesting. cool.gif

Now, get your damn scanner working! sumo.gifwink.gif

Hoot

Okay! Okay! Rub it in!

I wish I could show it to you. It's too bad that they weren't made like this from the beginning......clad on the obverse and copper on the reverse. It really is pretty; the copper seems to improve the appearance of the devices.

Chris