• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got my 2005 Jeffersons today!

19 posts in this topic

I ordered one $50 bag and four rolls of each mintmark. I've started going through the "D" bag and these are my early impressions:

1) On the obverse, "Liberty" in -script doesn't appeal to me at all. It just seems out of place.

2) On the reverse, the buffalo looks pretty good, although the eye looks a bit weak in contrast to the surrounding fur.

3) Minor machine doubling is evident on "E Pluribus Unum" at 10x.

4) From what I've seen so far, it is my estimate that 95% will grade 64/65; the majority of the remainder at 66 and a child's handful at 67.

However, looking at the bright side is the fact that 50 years from now my great grandchildren will have thousands of FH Jeffs!

Chris

So do you think there are any MS66 or better pieces?

I look forward to seeing them, but like tha last two, I will hunt long and hard for myself to get the grades I desire. I just can't see spending much money on one.

1) On the obverse, "Liberty" in -script doesn't appeal to me at all. It just seems out of place.

You may have known, but the cursive is after Jefferson's own handwriting.

Hoot

I got my 3 sets yesterday and was giddy with excitement......it has been a long time since we had a new obverse and reverse on a circulating 5 cent coin....I would Imagine 1938 was the last time that happend...correct!!! headbang.gif

I got my 3 sets yesterday and was giddy with excitement......it has been a long time since we had a new obverse and reverse on a circulating 5 cent coin....I would Imagine 1938 was the last time that happend...correct!!! headbang.gif

Well...............not exactly. 2004!

Chris 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Got my $25 Denver bag in yesterday. I'm going through them one by one. So far, I'm finding the reverses have noticeably fewer bag marks and ticks than the obverses which have many. So far I've been through 41 coins and only 3 look like they could be worth submitting. I'm using a tensor light to examine each coin. This light exposes ticks and other flaws more readily than regular light. It's a real time saver and easier on the eyes.

Every nickel has a full horn!!! 27_laughing.gif

Could someone post a "good" picture of one of these please? I saw a picture someone posted on another fourm and to be honest, it looked more like a token than a coin. I'm hoping it was just the flat scan rather than the way the coins look in hand. The drawings published by the mint looked very nice and gave me high hopes for the coin. I hope the final product doesn't look as bad as it did in that image. frown.gif

By the way, I have only received one "peace medal" nickel and zero "keelboat" nickels in change. I suspect it will be a few years before I get a buffalo at this rate.

Hoot is stating the obvious here; imagine being dead for almost 179 years and then being forced to sign every darned nickel! I think his handwriting looks great considering everything! Do you think they made him use a quill? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hoot is stating the obvious here; imagine being dead for almost 179 years and then being forced to sign every darned nickel! I think his handwriting looks great considering everything! Do you think they made him use a quill? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A View to Quill? insane.gif

Hoot

Hoot

I didn't know they made martinis in those days!

Chris

Hoot

Chris

Before stirrers - thus, always shaken. grin.gif

Hoot

Hey Jefferson was the same so 2004 doesn't count thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

Chris

Hoot

But, they had stirrers then. What do you think they did with that rod under the barrel of their muzzleloaders when they weren't shooting at someone or something?

Chris

Hey Jefferson was the same so 2004 doesn't count thumbsup2.gif

Half right doesn't count! We're playing by my rules since I started the thread.

Nyah, nyah, na, nyah, nyah!

Chris

Hoot

Chris

Hoot

But, they had stirrers then. What do you think they did with that rod under the barrel of their muzzleloaders when they weren't shooting at someone or something?

Chris

A little evening entertainment? insane.gif

sorry.gif

Well, technically, Shane is right. Last year had the same obverse design.

Chris............. foreheadslap.gifgrin.gif

But, if I would have read on then I would have seen that Chris was called on this already. blush.gif

Well, technically, Shane is right.

I know, EZ , and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because of your eye surgery. Did you read my last post?

yay.gifC yay.gifH yay.gifR yay.gifI yay.gifS yay.gif

Lucky for you, Chris, that dancing bananas will cover a multitude of sins. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Or else this would be comin' your way: foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

shy.gif

Hoot

Chris

Hoot

Chris

A little evening entertainment? insane.gif

sorry.gif

sign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif