• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A matter of curiosity.

36 posts in this topic

If you could only send one of these coins in for grading, which would it be? Also, which would be the least likely coin you would send in for grading? And why?

PICT0030_zpsczfp6eeo.jpg

PICT0037_zpsbv5elhwa.jpg

PICT0059_zpspcy3x9ge.jpg

PICT0060_zpslkmbwxgm.jpg

PICT0004_zpsdtphabza.jpg

PICT0005_zpshvzmmqbs.jpg

PICT0011_zps8ahulluy.jpg

PICT0027_zpsvjacenvy.jpg

If the luster is good in hand, maybe send in the 54-S. I don't think any of those are too valuable, but the 58s won't sell because there are so many good ones. If it's not a 65FBL or higher, I don't bother grading it.

"None of the above.....;)"

Is that your answer for both questions? And how about the why?

Danye, thanks for answering one of my questions.

Sorry to have been too economical with electrons.

I meant that none of the coins seem worthy of the time and expense of having it authenticated and graded by ANACS, PCGS or NGC. To go further, the photos don't show me anything that says "Wow! That's special." With that in mind, they are all fairly common coins in ordinary condition. Just an opinion and I'm sure many will disagree....but, I'm one who doesn't care much about the "grading" or plastic - I care about authentication and protection from alterations.

(All of them are nice coins.....and perfect for an album.)

Sorry to have been too economical with electrons.

I meant that none of the coins seem worthy of the time and expense of having it authenticated and graded by ANACS, PCGS or NGC. To go further, the photos don't show me anything that says "Wow! That's special." With that in mind, they are all fairly common coins in ordinary condition. Just an opinion and I'm sure many will disagree....but, I'm one who doesn't care much about the "grading" or plastic - I care about authentication and protection from alterations.

(All of them are nice coins.....and perfect for an album.)

Thanks. All I want are answers to my questions as a matter of curiosity.

If you could only send one of these coins in for grading, which would it be? Also, which would be the least likely coin you would send in for grading? And why?

The correct answer is: none of these coins are worth submitting for grading.

However, if you force me to pick one to submit, it will be the 54S. That is the highest graded coin, and most attractive of the bunch. It will probably grade 65, but I wouldn't be surprised with 64. In that grade, it really isn't worth it unless you think it will get FBL (which it won't), but its the most valuable of the bunch you've posted.

The least likely to submit would be all the rest. You've got a mix of low grade AU/UNC sliders, some with rather severe marks. The highest grade in the mix is 63, and none of them are FBL.

The best coin in the lot is the 1954 S Which I'd grade as MS 64. The worse one is the 1958 D that starts your thread with scratches in the right field for starters. It won't even get an MS 63.

I like to only submit coins that will value a hundred dollars or more if I'm correct on my grading guess. I have to buy them for about half that to make up for sellers fees and the occasional miss.

Going in you must understand that these are all $20 coins at best.

1. 1958-D Not sure if those are scratches or schmeg/toning interruptions in the right field. If just schmeg then giving that coin a bath might provide it with enough help and would make it look much more pleasing without distractions.

2. 1954-S There is terminal toning that has eaten away through the luster of the reverse and it can't be helped. The obverse is okay and could likely be given a bath...here again, I am not sure if those are scratches or if they are rub areas where the toning has just been interrupted. Without more information, I just can't tell from the photos.

3. 1954-D has some pretty heavy hits that would be distractions for me.

4. 1958-D not too bad but still not great. With the reverse, it has a black toning spot that is terminal and has eaten through any luster layer. It has a couple of hits but they are not too much of a distraction.

The highest grade in the bunch is in the 63/64 realm. Based on the price guide and the problems noted above, none are "worth" sending in. Now, if one them had FANTASTIC TONING, you could have a different situation but you don't. None of them are pleasing enough in that realm either.

My advice would be to sell all four of them in a group lot on eBay and then find a pleasing Franklin that is already slabbed. Also, study examples that have sold at auction, possibly at Heritage. Once you better understand the grading of Franklins and what improves eye appeal then you might revisit the idea of picking up raw examples again.

You managed to not answer any of the questions posed in my opening post, but thanks for trying, KeyMan64.
I tried, sorry. I wanted to do better than just saying "NONE" and explain why rather than just say "NONE." If you HAVE TO HAVE ONE SLABBED, no matter what because of sentimental value and these coins came to you for free via a relative that has passed away etc...then maybe I could understand it for that reason. If that is the case...or something similar, I would either slab the first one or the last one as they seem to have the least number of distractions to me from a pure eye appeal perspective. I hope that helps. You would need to decide which one you like best in hand. Good luck.

Depends on what your goals are for getting certified. I have been known to send in coins with little value but can be used as examples of learning how the TPGs grade a certain type of coin. $20-30 is cheap for an opinion on something that could pay off down the line by understanding the grade (and value) on a more expensive coin. With that in mind, it seems you have the most to learn by sending in the 54-S based on best possible grade - gives you a great point of comparison for valuing future purchases.

I like them all, nice Franklins.

Best, HT

"I like them all, nice Franklins."

I also think they are nice, thanks - but what I really want to know is which one you would submit for certification and which one you would be least inclined to submit and why on both counts.

"I like them all, nice Franklins."

I also think they are nice, thanks - but what I really want to know is which one you would submit for certification and which one you would be least inclined to submit and why on both counts.

I don't see how none is not a valid answer. These coins are not worth slabbing yourself and not worth this much discussion.

I personally like them, they are perfect coins for albums.

Having said that, IMO they are not worth slabbing. The first '58-D has potential if the scratching etc. around 3 o'clock weren't there, but it is, so that is a no go. The '54-S of them all has perhaps the best potential for slabbing IF, and that's a BIG IF, it would go FBL. FROM THE IMAGE it would not. So, get yourself a Dansco and plug them in...

"I don't see how none is not a valid answer. These coins are not worth slabbing yourself and not worth this much discussion."

The problem is I did not ask what I should do - I asked what you guys would do. Some people answered my questions from that perspective, but most assumed I needed help making the decision myself, which is not the case and I made no indication that it was in my opening post. I asked three straight forward questions that most people completely misinterpreted.

But that is OK, because like I said, I was just curious, and what I was curious about was how many would actually answer my questions without making assumptions.

By the way, this is my last thread and post. It has been a interesting experience, but other interests demand my attention.

Please reconsider. I understand that the response to your post has been frustrating, but you have to realize that some posters here can ONLY think in concrete terms. Asking them these types of questions is futile.

The problem is I did not ask what I should do - I asked what you guys would do. Some people answered my questions from that perspective, but most assumed I needed help making the decision myself, which is not the case and I made no indication that it was in my opening post. I asked three straight forward questions that most people completely misinterpreted.

I read this thread I don't think that is true. I think all of the answers are related to what each individual would do themselves. And like JerseyCat said a "none" answer is legit.

But that is OK, because like I said, I was just curious, and what I was curious about was how many would actually answer my questions without making assumptions.

So you really weren't interested in what each thought about your Franklins but you really were interested in HOW they would answer the question? hm

jom

I would love to hear some of the earlier posters reply to this and say "guess I was wrong".

Looks like you did very well.

+1

Some posters were "over the top" adamant about the worthiness of these coins. Time for some crow to be eaten.

All they will say is based on the pictures provided they stand by their comments, and will say NGC had the luxury of seeing them in hand. "I was wrong" isn't somethimg the majority of the posters in this thread say often, if ever. Congrats on the grades. Just curious, did you send the others in? If so how did they do?

Looking at huge coin photos has the disadvantage of almost always making them look terrible. When contact marks become so large they tend to become the focal point. The photos you provided post-slab make them look much better, toning included.

A 500x500 photo is more than enough to make a grade opinion, but nothing close to seeing it in hand.

Congrats on the grades, and those look like pretty coins. I had to go back to the 1st post to make sure they were actually the same coins.

The high grades don't change the answers. No one argued from the standpoint that the coins weren't going to grade high. But rather is a $100 coin worth the $50 grading fee?

The high grades don't change the answers. No one argued from the standpoint that the coins weren't going to grade high. But rather is a $100 coin worth the $50 grading fee?

Im confused. Are 1955+ coins considered modern and are only $15 ?