• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943 D Mint Error Lincoln Cent

11 posts in this topic

I recently started taking coins out of an original American Express display cabinet that was made for it`s customers only in 1975 by the Franklin Mint , I don`t want to make myself look stupid again , error coins are new to me as far as looking for them and what to look for .

The 1943 D Lincoln cent is one of the coins that I have listed so far out of the cabinet , please take a look at it , and my other listings . Your feed back would be greatly appreciated .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/171998188628?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It's actually a type of valueless doubling quite commonly seen on steel cents. It's a form of die erosion that seems to have been aggravated by use of the zinc-plated steel planchets. NGC receives at least one a week for attribution as either a DDO or RPM, and the submitter is always disappointed with the outcome.

It's actually a type of valueless doubling quite commonly seen on steel cents. It's a form of die erosion that seems to have been aggravated by use of the zinc-plated steel planchets. NGC receives at least one a week for attribution as either a DDO or RPM, and the submitter is always disappointed with the outcome.

Thanks Dave. Learned something new.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Tens of thousands of circulated 1943 cents have been stripped of their original zinc plating and replated with a new one to appear Mint State. This was done on a wholesale basis during the 1950s-60s, when the coin hobby was less sophisticated and buyers could easily be fooled. In some instances, the coins were sold with a disclaimer that they were replated, but this information was lost in subsequent transactions, and collectors are still being duped today.

The kind of doubling described occurs with both these "processed" cents and those having original surfaces. In rare instances, the coins were replated with mercury instead of zinc, so persons should be wary of this toxic metal.

1943 cents were struck on planchets made from cheap steel that was coated with zinc to person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point oxidation (rust). Long rolls of steel of the type used for inexpensive toys were run through either a molten zinc bath or electroplated with zinc. The coated steel was then run through rollers to compress and smooth the surface. Blanks were punched and these were smoothed and given an upset rim to facilitate die stamping. Most 1943 cent planchets were made by contractors and not at the mints. Volatility of molten zinc was a problems and the mints did not have equipment to handle it.

When new, the coins had a silvery look and evidently the public confused the cents with dimes. The mints tried many things to darken the planchets before striking, but none worked. Of course, the zinc coating soon darkened as the coins were used, but there were enough complaints (and an improved war materials situation) that the pre-war copper-zinc allow returned in 1944. (These coins had only a trace of tin so that they complied with the law.)