• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maj Gen W H Harrison Campaign Token question

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I picked up this one knowing that is quite common but it is no holed for suspension

and I know that the true die hard collectors like the hole but I would prefer it not.

Also it in pretty good shape as most are quite worn.

Anyways.......I noticed on the reverse that there is what looks like a water well to me instead of a cider barrel. I am also aware of several varieties that they come in but have never seen this reverse.

Has anyone else seen this one...or have it? Is it common, rare.....worth more than common?

2ajcok1.jpg

24l3l15.jpg

The portrait looks like Jimmy Durante's cousin Homer.

Also, the cabin is fun! I love the smoke blowing one way and the pennant the other! Such are the winds of political worlds.

According to an auction listing for this piece the diameter is 24 mm. That makes it easier to narrow it down. The Harrison campaign issued a very large number of tokens that were like this. Believe or not it is easier to get William Henry Harrison political tokens than any other 19th century candidate.

The pictured token is DeWitt-Sullivan WHH 1840-57, brass, 24mm - this variety is more often found without a hole for suspension than the several other log cabin varieties. The quick and easy way to identify this piece is by the date on the reverse, 1841, rather than the 1840 date found on the other similar pieces with the cider barrel. The obverse also differs in the number of straps, buttons, etc. This is the only variety of this general type with the 1841 date

Thanks! Good information to have. Is this considered to have a cider barrel or a "well?" Any thoughts about the wind blowing from two directions at once?

The variety listed before that one, WHH 1840-56, also has the 1841 date on it. Sullivan says that this token was struck from worn dies. My piece has a blob, not a barrel.

WHH%201840%2056%20O_zpspfrxxv4v.jpgWHH%201840%2056%20R_zpsbuwkl0vl.jpg

As for the wind direction problem, which is also seen on the token above, that was probably a die maker's goof. Of course it could have been a harbinger of things to come.

Harrison died after only a month in office. His replacement was John Tyler, who became known as "his accidency." Tyler twice vetoed a bill that would have given a renewal charter to The Bank of the United States. The bank was a cornerstone in the Whig Party platform, and Tyler's veto prompted every cabinet member, except secretary of state, Daniel Webster, to resign. Clearly the political winds were blowing in opposite directions!