• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check out my newp

8 posts in this topic

It's an 1874-CC TD, graded MS63 by NGC. The coin has fantastic satiny luster, especially for an MS63 specimen. The coin is very minimally toned a light rose color on the obverse, and is essentially white on the reverse. (My images are always too dark!)

I sold my PCGS MS63 specimen so I can acquire this one -- which I love so much more for a number of reasons. The greatest reason I love this coin so much is that this coin has a number of odd die characteristics: the obv has a number of crisscrossing dis polish lines, mostly by the date, and the beginnings of die failure on both dies at the periphery.

For those who aren't thoroughly familiar with this date, it's a pretty tough date in an UNC grade, but gets prohibitive above MS63 (big price jump). Also, it typically comes with a satiny complexion on well struck relief.

Most people don't think of satiny luster as "booming", but I really like this one... Whether this is a PQ specimen or not is irrelevent to me; I simply love this coin.

EVP

118422-1874-CCTrMS63o.JPG.513c83c666200793cfdaba208fc60b61.JPG

the eye appeal is great

the coin is a really very strong ms63+++

i bet if it was a common date s mint it would be in a 64 holder

Thanks, one and all.

Michael: I would not have bought the coin if it were a 64LQ. I dislike LQ coins and they also cost more! (I'm a bargain hunter w/o sacrificing much quality!)

Mark: You don't need to sit on her lap... Just do what I do: spread your little ladies on your bed and roll around on them au naturelle. Be careful if a coin gets stuck in a cranny! Oh, wait, you collect Buffs and Jeffs -- not that there's anything wrong with that! shocked.gif

PQ: I'm glad you like the luster. I'm a leg, thigh and luster man as well! smile.gif

EVP

BTW, Michael, the only higher-end 1874-CC specimen I've ever considered trying to get was the Amon Carter specimen the last time it appeared at auction a couple of years ago.

That coin was so marvelous that I had an instant and pronounced physical reaction. Alas, it now resides in a horrible West Coast dilettante's collection who has no real appreciation for the coins and should just give them to me!

smile.gif

EVP