• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Libertad Variety, DDO

4 posts in this topic

Went through a roll i just received from Canada.

After going through a roll of libertads, one coin caught my eye. The left hand appeared to have a shadow and after flipping it around I noticed doubling. The wing of the libertad also had doubling as well as all the written words on the obverse like Mo, 1 Onza and the mountains. I decided to look back at all of the libertads I had for the same year and found a total of 6 coins with the same exact attributes. These were not the 1987 DDO but from a different year. I will be submitting these to NGC and will write more when they are graded.

The pic attached is one area where the doubling is noticed.

17008.png

See more journals by TMCGRADY

That "shelf like" appearance is usually a dead giveaway for strike doubling. I may be wrong and the NGC guys know their stuff but that does not look like a Doubled Die to me. Just one old guys opinion....

I hope I am wrong,

John

You may be right as i am no expert myself. The whole front of the coin shows this doubling and for all 6 I found the doubling is in the same exact areas. I wish I could figure out how to load more picks without making a new post.

In the photos it looks like mechanical doubling. The cause is mechanical and that means it can appear on many coin until the problem was corrected or the press stopped.