• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Serial Numbers

8 posts in this topic

Just a quick question here. I have a coin I recently purchased that had gone through a re-grade at NGC. It got bumped from MS62 to MS63. No big deal.

However, the coin has the same serial number now as it did before. I had no idea NGC did this. Does anyone else know anything about this?

Note: I did not do this upgrade myself but it went to NGC in the 62 holder not after a crack out. I think the previous owner wanted to keep pedigree (it's a Pittman coin) or some such.

Any thoughts/comments? I'm curious...

jom

They do that on re-holder coins. I sent in several mint errors that were already in NGC holders and all used the same serial number. They just update their DB for that serial number. I know that this has occurred for at least the last 3 years.

I thought the serial numbers changed on a regrade and stayed the same for reholdered only coins. This does seem odd.

P.S. I wonder if the pedigree (and the desire to trace a coin from the Pittman sale) may have been a factor.

Possibly, since in the Pittman sale it would have had one number and if they changed the number but kept the pedigree it might have raised questions in the future over whether or not the pedigree was valid.

Possibly, since in the Pittman sale it would have had one number and if they changed the number but kept the pedigree it might have raised questions in the future over whether or not the pedigree was valid.

Good point....

Thanks for the answers...I thought it was strange so I thought I'd ask.

jom