• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I picked up a couple of nice so called dollars today.

8 posts in this topic

I went to the monthly Parsippany N.J. coin show today and picked up two more so called dollars for my growing collection of them.

The first one is a HK-359. It is made of copper, and is in an NGC holder graded MS-65 RB.

742848-1909HK-359utahdollarobv.jpg742850-1909HK-359utahdollarrev.jpg

Made for the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Expo held in Seattle Washington in 1909, it is known as a Utah dollar because the state of Utah sponsored it’s minting, and it was sold in the Utah building during the Expo. It is listed as very scarce (251-500 known) in the Hibler & Kappen book. I really like the design of the piece, it seems impressive to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

The second medal I picked up was a HK-582. It is silver and is in an NGC MS-66 holder.

This medal was authorized by Congress and struck at the Philadelphia mint to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the starting of the Pony Express. There is also a bronze version of this medal, which I already have an MS-66 RD example of. Here they are together, as I think they make a striking pair! yay.gif

742853-1960HK-582Ponyexpresscentennialobv.jpg742854-1960HK-582ponyexpresscentennialrev.jpg

742856-1960HK-583ponyexpresscentennialobv.jpg742857-1960HK-583ponyexpresscentennialrev.jpg

As always comments are welcome.

John

Nice SC's, John! I particularly like the Pony Express in bronze. The rider on the reverse reminds me of Remington's sculptures. It just seems to come alive.

Chris

Fantastic John! cloud9.gif That HK-359 is in fabulous shape. I've actually seen a few of those and they have all been browner and a bit more marked up than yours. Good snag!

As for those Pony Express pieces, let me just say that if you ever come across another one or two that match yours, then PLEASE pick them up for me!!! Only ones of those I've ever seen were bronze and low MS brown. Both of yours are superior! thumbsup2.gif

That Utah piece is spectacular, John! Your photography of it is also exceptional. thumbsup2.gif The Alaska-Yukon Pacific Exposition seems to have spawned quite a few of these SCDs, it would be interesting to see all of them available.

Chris and Tom,

Thanks for your comments about the metals. Tom, believe it or not the image of the Utah dollar is a scan!

Hoot,

I might be able to help you with the silver Pony Express piece. I saw another example that looked like a real nice one in a different dealer’s case after I bought mine. I have no idea what the dealer wanted for it, and I don’t have any way to contact him until the next Parsippany show, so we’ll have to wait a month until the next show to see if he still has it. I’ll touch base with you before the next show to make sure you haven’t found one already. I’ll also keep an eye out for a high grade red bronze example for you.

John

Victor, here it is!

Thanks, Chris. I am becoming more and more facinated with this area. As you mentioned, the Pony Express Medal actually draws you into the setting. It is amazing and facinating artistry! I'm sure that this specialty will become increasingly popular.As I relayed to you, michael says that this medal is incredibly popular in Rochester in all grades.

I'm still amazed that the following: Hibler, Harold E. & Kappen, Charles V. - So-Called Dollars, an Illustrated Standard Catalog with Valuations had all copies sold w/i a day of their listing online. Just had that scuzzy, old musty-smelling one available. mad.gif

p.s. I guess that it took a couple of makepoint.gif from ya before I made it over to this thread. Man, you have patience like a rock ...or is that the IQ of a rock? grin.gif Thanks, bud.

P.S. Thanks for sharing, John. Iam extremely impressed with all three items. I didn't even know that the Pony Express was minted in silver.

thumbsup2.gif