• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1998 Silver Eagle Wrong Planchet Error

5 posts in this topic

Here's a short article Coin World just put up of a unique American silver eagle wrong planchet error. There very possibly are more of these out there when you consider the many millions of ASE's which are sitting around in tubes and boxes having never been searched.

I love rare wrong planchet errors like this. It would sure be neat if a gold eagle wrong planchet error showed up!

http://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/2015/10/check-your-1998-american-eagles-they-might-be-on-wrong-planchet.html

Should be easy enough to see given the small diameter and nearly plain edge.
It is. The lack of reeding on the coin's edge make it obvious, although if viewed simply from the obverse or reverse, there isn't much difference at a glance.

There very possibly are more of these out there, and collectors should be on the lookout in their tubes of ASE's.

I already checked mine -- but since I don't have any 1998 silver eagles it was a very, ver7y long shot. Also, I only have 1/2 a roll (w/butter and a bit or grape jam).