• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEAT QUESTION HERE

8 posts in this topic

What causes the reeding on some coins to be missing? The one I found has not been worn, buffed, filed or sanded off. It appears and disappears around the circumference of the coin at different locations. Where it does appear, it is very weak looking.

Thanks,

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

There are probably several reasons for this Pat, but the ones that come to my mind are (1) improperly adjusted collar (the edge die where reeding is imparted these days) or (2) a broken collar, but likely (1) since you say some reeding is visible and the coin is apparently not broadstruck (struck without or outside a collar).

Hoot

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

On USA coins made since the 1830s, the reeding is applied by a die collar at the moment of striking. Some collars have shallow reeding, as made. Others become worn with repeated usage. Finally, the way the obverse and reverse dies are basined (given their radius or field curvature) affects the flow of metal and the filling of all dies, including the collar. Some coins are frequently seen with shallow or indistinct reeding from this last cause, 1921 Morgan Dollars being a good example.

Thanks for the responces. It sounds like the metal flows into all the voids when it is struck from the extreme pressure and heat that is generated. I guess if the collar is worn or not in position then the metal won't be squeezed into somthing that is not there.

Thanks,

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS