• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Libertad Variety?

7 posts in this topic

There is a 1987 double die now there is a 1990 double die reverse.

Ok, we its obvious I have a lot of 1oz libertads as well as some time on my hands. After going through about 140 libertads in the past few days this coin caught my attention. On the reverse you can see doubling on the letters as well as the wing, head of the eagle and snake. This will be going in for grading on my next submission with a new variety to be added to the series.

16970.png

See more journals by TMCGRADY

Nope. That is very common machine doubling. It is not hub doubling.

You may have popped my balloon. Out of about 1500 of these this is the first one I have seen on a libertad. I know machine doubling and other types of doubling along with die wear can produce some weird stuff but do you really think its common?

Nope. That is very common machine doubling. It is not hub doubling.

You may have popped my balloon. Out of about 1500 of these this is the first one I have seen on a libertad. I know machine doubling and other types of doubling along with die wear can produce some weird stuff but do you really think its common?

Certain series may be more afflicted, but yes, it is extremely common across all die struck coinage. Sorry :(

I disagree. If there is a doubling, and it is not common, than it is a different variety.

What I'm saying is, there is no "doubling." There is a secondary ghost image from a common machine/strike effect. A variety is a die issue - the OP's coin is a striking issue.

I disagree. If there is a doubling, and it is not common, than it is a different variety.

What I'm saying is, there is no "doubling." There is a secondary ghost image from a common machine/strike effect. A variety is a die issue - the OP's coin is a striking issue.

The doubling is also around the eagle and the snake, i couldn't catch ot all in one pic.