• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

an ancient Roman coin equivalent of Krause

12 posts in this topic

Good start. I knew they'd probably be spendy, but I suppose a case could be made that one who can afford to collect ancient coins to begin with can probably afford a quality reference.

some of these are available at your local public library for free to take out or use as a reference in house

also if you join the ana you can take them out for free

you pay for shipping both ways and you got them for 6 weeks or more

I'm an ANA member. I didn't know it had any benefits. Other than renew my dues, I don't even read the mag since they decided it was online-only.

The magazine isn't online only, but the dues are higher to get the printed version.

But yes there are benefits and in my opinion the Library is the best of them. One of the largest numismatic libraries in the world and the books can be borrowed for weeks for just the cost of shipping back and forth, usually at media mail rates. Last I knew the library catalog was available online

You might want to look at the ANA's website again to review their benefits.

You can still get print copies of The Numismatist - you just have to sign up for "Platinum" membership, for either $46 annually (or $41 if you're over 65).

I like the modest discount that Wizard Coin Supply offers ANA members, too.

Yeah, it really surprised me how affordable Roman coins could be. Can get some very pleasing stuff in a normal budget. I won my coin club's monthly raffle last time and there was a beautiful Diocletian follis among the choices. Easy call.

Too bad I've forgotten so much of what my Roman history prof taught us about reading the things, but that was over thirty years back.

If I were 40 years younger and on a modest budget $75/month/coin the Roman

coin series would be the way to go. Whether by topic or just a nice attractive pieces I might have gone this route. The possibilities are endless.