• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very special 1982 BU libertad

4 posts in this topic

Picked up a great find today.

Before i talk about the coin, i want to mention something about the 1990 MS67 PL i have in the registry set. The 1990 proof like i have is the only proof like designation given to a BU libertad. I found the 1990 and knew it was special and had it graded along with a bunch of other coins.

Now for the 1982. At first when the 1982 was for sale i was not interested as the orice was more than double what a typical 1982 1oz libertad goes for. After looking at for a few days I felt like this could be a nice upgrade to the coin MS66 i have in my set so i biught it. After receiving the coin i was blown away as it has proof like attributes but the proof like attributes were just the start. When I turned over the coin the back was also Proof like but the dots on the cactus pad looked different. Normally, from 1982 to 1991 the cactus pad has 7 dots. The only exception for this is the 1991 type 2 and later. The 1982 i have has 9 dots on the cactus pad, something I have never heard of or seen.

After speaking with Pat Stuvall of Don Bailey's Numismatics we both seem to think this could have been an experimental strike that took place in preparation for the new libertad bullion program.

Aside from the proof like features and 9 dots, the other thing that makes this coin unique is the strike. Most strikes from 1982 to 1990 are weak, show bag marks, and the area around the angel has vertical hairline scratches. The coin i acquired is clean without those scratches, bag marks or major gauges as can be seen with most early libertads. Needless to say this will be on the way to NGC for grading tomorrow.

See more journals by TMCGRADY

Congrats on possibly finding an experimental strike. I know very little about the Libertad program, so i can't have an intelligent conversation about your coin. I did think about what you typed though and tried to put myself in your shoes. You must be excited as hell to learn more about this piece.

Again, congrats. Let us know if it is indeed an experimental piece.

Congrats on possibly finding an experimental strike. I know very little about the Libertad program, so i can't have an intelligent conversation about your coin. I did think about what you typed though and tried to put myself in your shoes. You must be excited as hell to learn more about this piece.

Again, congrats. Let us know if it is indeed an experimental piece.

Thanks and yes this was a very exciting find and I also think it was a experimental strike or its an amazing fake. It went out today to NGC for grading so hopefully this will be added to the registry set.

Oh, i did weigh it and did a magnet test and so far it's a pass. More to come.

Well i should have posted this sooner. The coin came back as a fake. NGC did an article on this back in 2011 as i was not the only one who got tricked. Where ever this coin came from, they did make it out of 1oz real silver. The idea was to take advantage of the huge premiums over spot by selling these fake libertads. What really gets me are all the so called experts that deal with and import libertads that i reached out to that never heard of this fake coin. You would think that if NGC had to write something on this someone would have known. Oh well, at least i have another silver round. So far, i know of the 2008 proof libertad and this 1982, both are fakes and i can see them a mile away.