• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NCS comes through on three Maritimes

6 posts in this topic

I recently bought three raw Canadian Maritime coins, two for my registry sets and one which is not part of any registry set but part of my Canadian Maritime collection. The first one is a tough date Newfoundland. This 1888 10 cent was covered with caked on dirt and brown goo. I already had an F-12 in my set and I was hoping that this one might be an upgrade. The 1888 10 cent has a mintage of only 30,000 which makes it tough to find in any condition. NCS did a spectacular job of cleaning (ooops I mean conserving) this coin. I kick myself for not taking before pictures of these three coins. The 1888 10 cent went from being an ugly, no eye appeal to being a some what presentable example with a very nice look to it. I had asked on the submission form to focus on the date because I wanted to be able to see the doubling of the last eight. The obverse is a bit weak but the reverse came out really nice with the doubling being very view-able. I do believe that every one of the 1888 10 cents exhibits this last eight doubling.

The next coin is an 1861 Nova Scotia 1/2 cent. This coin had a green / grey haze and two verdigris spots but through the haze it looked to me to be almost uncirculated. You can see where the two verdigris spots were removed at around 3 to 4 O'clock on the reverse and right in the middle of the crown. Sadly once the haze was removed the obverse exhibited some abrasions across the coin. But still went through grading as UNC details. In hand the coin looks very pleasing.

Lastly NCS rescued a Newfoundland Rutherford token that was covered in some kind of greenish growth across the entire coin both side. I have a number of these tokens in my collection and they are my favorite token from the Maritime area. I believe there are a total of six varieties of this token, two undated, two 1841, and two 1846. I have never seen a mint state example of any of these tokens. Once again NCS did a truly amazing job conserving this token.

I tried to take some pictures of the results which I got back this Friday, although the pictures do not do the coins justice I thought I would share what a great job NCS did with these three examples.

Have a great day

Jim

158329.jpg.b99918cf435ee900c8f7947b7327fef3.jpg

158330.jpg.7cc839144839d0dbdc70a44be1f47780.jpg

158331.jpg.de74e98539da7213ed666aed851e83f3.jpg

158332.jpg.08fbe53debfd258100744d39d71ba5f6.jpg

158333.jpg.23b9887b2ba27337f7c4a3d39bc1e965.jpg

Sweet-looking pieces. They must have some serious wizards at NCS, none of these OTC coin conservers and no rough wire brush conserving.

I am particularly enamored with the 1846 Rutherford token. That is one interesting lamb hanging there. The early Newfoundland history fascinates me. Mostly because my grandfather and his family lived there from the mid 1800 till today. Every time I hold a coin from there I have this strange little thought of "I wonder if grandpa held this coin" lol!

-Jim

Excellent Maritimes, quite well done, sir.!! A few observations if you will:

1. The Newfoundland '8' may well be a re-punched 8

2. The Nova Scotia 1/2 Cent exhibits:

a. Extra metal above the 'L' in HALF

b. DB from rim to 'G' in D.G.

c. DC from first 'T' in BRITT to portrait hair

Unfortunately my Zoell reference books have 'disappeared' from my numismatic library so I cannot attribute these for you as to Zoell reference number. Perhaps a local dealer has a copy and can do this for you.

Again, great acquisitions and happy, happy collecting to you. :)