• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fresh From Grading

11 posts in this topic

I had 3 Franklins and 2 Washingtons, all toned. Sent 'em to PCGS and here's how they came back. I'm needless to say, especially in the case of the 53-D, very happy.

Franklins

1953-D.....me: QT or 65FBL.......PCGS: 65FBL

1955.........me: 64+FBL...............PCGS: 65FBL

1955.........me: 65FBL.................PCGS: 65FBL

Washingtons

1955........me: 65........................PCGS MS66

1955........me: 66........................PCGS MS65

I had 3 Franklins and 2 Washingtons, all toned. Sent 'em to PCGS and here's how they came back. I'm needless to say, especially in the case of the 53-D, very happy.

Franklins

Washingtons

Out of curiousity, why didn't you send them to NGC, our hosts? Has PCGS relaxed its grading standards thereby insuring high grades? Or another reason?

Best, HT

I'm normally a fan of color. If that's an accurate depiction, I'm not nuts about it.

As far as which company gets to do the grading, I've kind of settled upon a system. NGC gets coins with multi-color, bands or bell lines, circulated coins and proofs.

PCGS gets the Morgans and Walkers. NGC has recently burned that bridge.

Franklins

Washingtons

Out of curiousity, why didn't you send them to NGC, our hosts? Has PCGS relaxed its grading standards thereby insuring high grades? Or another reason?

Best, HT

Well, as you know, PCGS FBL designation is very lax compared to NGC (the definition used differs at PCGS as it requires only the bottom set of bell lines to be complete -- NGC requires both sets of bell lines to be complete). To purist collectors of Franklin FBL coins, most prefer NGC's designation.