• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP Mexico 8 Reales...Guess the grade and give opinion...

14 posts in this topic

I'd go AU50 or 53 on that. I like the color, but a little too much wear IMO (particularly on the bust side) for higher than that. Nice looking coin -- the reverse is particularly attractive! (thumbs u

These are always tricky to grade, because the strike is usually terrible on them. I'd be inclined to knock it down to EF-45 - but the amount of luster indicates it may be higher than that. Tough to tell in photographs.

The eye appeal on that one is stunning, however.

Looks like a very nice AU. Add in the "Pre-1800 Bonus Points" the TPG's tend to give out like Halloween candy and it probably slabbed as an MS-63.

To receive Pre-1800 Bonus Points, it would have to be dated pre-1800. ;)

Nice example. A bit of strike weakness, as often seen in this series. I'd grade it in the 53-55 range, as well, considering the strike characteristics and luster. PCGS has not been terribly consistent with these, which has been pretty frustrating.

You rarely see these with a little nice color.

Agreed! I like them with a bit of color myself: http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/Showcase.aspx?sc=2486

I don't see much wear and it seems to have good luster. It has substantial strike weakness in the centers, but the evidence of handling and friction is commensurate with an AU55 grade.

By the way, if someone is looking to add 8 Reales as a type coin to their collection as an example of what was circulating in early America - now is a pretty good time to do this. Prices have softened quite a bit over the last year for the mid-grade examples and you can find an attractive, slabbed AU portrait 8 Reales for around $300.