• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franklin Halves FBL Designation...NGC/ANACS/PCGS

11 posts in this topic

Michael F. of ANACS replied to my question on FBL designations..

Both sets of lines on the bell need to be complete and clear, except for the small area just to the left of the crack on the bell, on the upper set (this tiny area is always weak). Marks or cuts that break the lines, unless very small, will keep the coin from being designated as FBL.

This means that ANACS and NGC require both sets of lines for FBL.

PCGS does not.

I wish I had seen this info a couple of months earlier.

I have a complete set of Frankies being graded now at NGC.

Grades should be in at least by next week.

Kinda dreading the results. I might have saved myself some money if I had submitted them to PCGS instead. It sounds to me that the NGC coins are the better graded slabs but the PCGS still bring a premium. Dosen't make sense to me.

-------------

etexmike

Yup. It definitely pays to be informed! I learned the differences between NGC and PCGS' criteria from "MadMarty" on the PCGS forum (I know him personally). It's the reason I pretty much ignore Frankies in PCGS holders. Now, thanks to your information, I'll know that ANACS holders may hold good coins.

I typically don't buy certified Franklins anyway (my personal set is all raw), but do have to for clients from time to time.

James

It sounds to me that the NGC coins are the better graded slabs but the PCGS still bring a premium. Dosen't make sense to me.

It makes all the sense in the world if you care more about the holder than you do the coin. confused-smiley-013.gif

John

It sounds to me that the NGC coins are the better graded slabs but the PCGS still bring a premium. Dosen't make sense to me.

It has more to do with brand name loyalty and market share than with knowledge of the coin inside. NGC has posted its requirements for the Franklin FBL and Roosevelt FT standards and these are slightly more strict than the PCGS standards for the same coins. Additionally, I have anecdotal evidence that NGC is slightly more strict in giving out the FB designation for Mercs.

As a side note, it is my opinion that all of the "FX" designations are fairly meaningless and I would not pay a premium for such coins.

Kudos for ANACS for their prompt response. laugh.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I assume that was Mike Farrone from ANACS?

The email address was michaelf at something or other.net

If so, I thought he left for PCGS?

BTW James, I've bought coins from Marty in the past, he's a great eBay seller. Highly reccommend.

I think it has to do with overall marketing, in general, as opposed to brand loyalty.

PCGS did a phenomenal job at marketing their "brand", early, and have reaped the rewards for a long time because of that. Add the Registry concept and you have a screaming freight train on your hands. Great for pcgs, and maybe or maybe not great for the consumer. Depends on if you're buying or selling, but could work in both avenues if the "freight train" keeps moving. Speculation on that is up to each individual to judge.

In the LONG TERM, I feel the stricter guidelines set up by NGC and ANACS (who I feel are extremely capable, especially with designations) will brew to the top, but in what timeframe, I don't know. Similar situation with FS on Jefferson Nickels.

I'm not a huge "FX" fan either, but there is NO denying that these designations have been promoted in the hobby as premium qualities to look for, right or wrong, and the general market supports this way of thinking in many ways, especially in the pricing category.

Let's face it. The price of a '45 Full Bands Merc. isn't coming down anytime soon. It's probably one of the best "designation premium" coins in the market. What, a $10 ms/64 no bands coin, and $3,000 with FB?

We can go on and on with all of the designations. With SLQ's, I'm not a FH fan, but more of a full shield guy. I would much rather prefer a full shield and central detail on those coins than a freakin' ear hole. Just me though. smile.gif

Kudos for ANACS for their prompt response. laugh.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I assume that was Mike Farrone from ANACS?

The email address was michaelf at something or other.net

If so, I thought he left for PCGS?

BTW James, I've bought coins from Marty in the past, he's a great eBay seller. Highly reccommend.

MIchael F. could have been Michael Fahey.

(((It sounds to me that the NGC coins are the better graded slabs but the PCGS still bring a premium. Dosen't make sense to me. )))

Maybe all the smart people are hanging out on the NGC forum and know better! laugh.gif

I wish I had seen this info a couple of months earlier.

I have a complete set of Frankies being graded now at NGC.

Grades should be in at least by next week.

Kinda dreading the results. I might have saved myself some money if I had submitted them to PCGS instead. It sounds to me that the NGC coins are the better graded slabs but the PCGS still bring a premium. Dosen't make sense to me.

-------------

etexmike

Did you get your results?

BTW I just got off the phone with ANACS and their FSB designations for Roosies are the same as NGC's FT.

I just got the grades posted on Saturday the 12th.

All of the coins submitted were cracked out of PCGS and NGC slabs (for reasons we won't get into now) and graded as MS 64 FBL except the 53-S which was graded as MS 64.

I got 16 FBL's

1 MS63

11 MS 64

4 MS 65

Two of the coins that had been in NGC holders as FBL didn't make the cut this submission. Go figure.

A couple of the common date coins I will keep. The other non FBL coins along with the MS 63 FBL will be headed to PCGS if I can locate someone to submit them for me. I am a paid member with NGC is the reason they were sent for slabbing there first.

Should of done my homework. A little bit of expense associated with this lesson.

Thanks for all of the information folks, I get it, I get it.

-------------

etexmike