• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World coin..Anyone have any thoughts?

3 posts in this topic

Anyone out there familiar with this one. Coin or Medallion? I would guess one of the Arabic regions.

Any info would be helpful. I do not have a world coin book to go through as I pretty much stick to Made In USA, and Canadian Bullion coins.

158269.jpg.cbc1e895f53d611420a1ff13a9145de9.jpg

158270.jpg.0b5ffbe290a1d25c8c069667b193dc7b.jpg

Offhand I'd guess it's a token or medallion, because it doesn't have a date on it. The writing at 6:00 says 'Athman.' At 9:00, it says 'Ali.' Hard to make out what it says at 12:00, perhaps Abu-Bakr. The thing in the middle looks like the same word repeated in various iterations of Arabic -script, and looks to me like 'ts' repeated. What that would mean, I do not know. But I think most business strikes from all countries include a date, even if it is an AH date (after hejira, the Islamic lunar calendar) and only in the Arabic Arabic numerals (as opposed to our Arabic numerals, which derive from the Arabic Arabic numerals). Might be a pilgrimage token of some sort, going by the obverse. The style of the -script is not Persian, so I wouldn't think it's from there.

I agree, no date or value ..... definitely a medallion of some sort, and possibly a souvenir purchased by someone attending the Hajj in Mecca. If it is, since the Koran is always written in Arabic you will get no help from the lettering. Interesting piece anyway ....