• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UC vs Cameo

2 posts in this topic

I have a 1967 SMS MS66 UC nickel. I purchased two 1966 SMS mint sets and the dime and nickel in both sets looks the same as my NGC graded version and the quarter in one of the sets. What do I look for to distinguish between the UC vs cameo? Also are there any differences between the 67 set vs 66 I should know about?

The 1967 coins are common with Ultra Cameo contrast. Most 1966 coins are quite scarce in UC.

An Ultra Cameo coin is supposed to display strong, full frost over all design elements. Cameo coins will be primarily frosted, but may have a few slight weak areas or breaks in the frosting caused by die usage, usually toward the edges of the design. (This weakness is not to be confused with coins that were struck from dies that were manufactured with patches of incomplete frosting. These can show jet black and white contrast, but have random spots in the design that are missing the frosting altogether, probably due to incomplete sandblasting. Such coins can sometimes still make the UC designation.)

The fields of an Ultra should be as deep as a regular proof, whereas some Cameo SMS coins are not as deeply mirrored as a regular Proof.