• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doing research on struck copies of Thomas Elder small gold Lincoln medals

3 posts in this topic

Thomas Elder struck some small (15 mm) gold medallions with Abraham Lincoln on them dated 1910, 1927 and 1939. The 1910 pieces had a reverse that said "TO THE EMANCIPATOR AND MARTYR A TOKEN." This one I catalogued in The Numismatist back in 1980 as DeLorey-47. The 1927 pieces had a simple wreath with "A TOKEN" and a pair of crossed axes inside. (DeLorey-48) The 1939 pieces had a fancier wreath with "A TOKEN" inside surrounded by 9 small stars. (DeLorey-49). Each was also struck in lesser metals.

There exist today various pieces dated 1910 and 1939 (and possibly 1927) struck from copy obverse dies and multiple reverse dies copied from the 1927 reverse with the crossed axes design. They come in gold and other metals. These may be modern or they may be older; I have one reference to one as early as 1959.

I would like to do the definitive article on these, originals and restrikes, for The Numismatist. I would appreciate it is anybody that has one or the originals or one of the copies message me with the information so that I can compile a census. I might also need pictures of some pieces later to be used with photo credit.

Thanks,

Tom DeLorey