• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1955 Franklin MS DDR??

9 posts in this topic

Or not?

_57_zpscw2ipdfl.jpg

The Dot, the S, and the M seem to have very convincing doubling, but the picture is not quite in focus, and I can't tell for sure if it is or isn't machine doubling. The other letters loom like machine doubling.

The doubling in the "UNITED" is definately machine doubling. Note that the cross bar of the "T" is skinny. On a true DDR the letters would be normal with a double, This is because machine doubling "steals" some of the metal as it bounces., squishing it outward in a shelf like appearance.

_57-1_zpsadi9izls.jpg

Seeing the entire reverse, I can now say that it is a Very Late Die State with extreme die erosion in the fields and die fatigue doubling, as well as machine doubling over much of the reverse. Most likely, the dot, the S, and the M do not show true doubling.

From my analysis of 1955 dies, I summize that only a handful were used (similar to the 4 used in 1956), and if this was anything other than one of the above die state anomalies, one would probably have been reported by now....but I never say never.