• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2004 P DDO HANDSHAKE Nickel

10 posts in this topic

I just recently bought my second 2004 P DDO handshake nickel. Part of the top 100 NGC modern set (number 82). The coins has NGC cert 1838277-025. The coin has with it the identifiers FS-2004P-111. Both my MS64 and 65 have the same variety. I have two questions i think... one, DDO should have the doubling on the jefferson face not the handshake side, correct? sort of a dumb question i know but both are encapsulated with the handshake forward and i am telling you guys I am new to varieties but i can not see it on either side. Second question, I bought the only MS65 I have ever seen. i only have seen MS64, why is that? are they stuck in rolls which is my guess.

Does anyone have one that shows nice doubling because i cant see it and i think i am going to have to get the electron microscope to see it.

I don't fully understand what you mean. The only variety for the 2005-P is the FS-101. It is a DDO which has doubling on the obverse. There are quite a few that have been graded with many that are higher than MS65. You can view these results in the NGC Census by clicking on the "arrow" to the left of the date/mintmark.

http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-census/us/jefferson-five-cents-pscid-25-desig-ms-page-7-base

Chris

I just recently bought my second 2004 P DDO handshake nickel. Part of the top 100 NGC modern set (number 82). The coins has NGC cert 1838277-025. The coin has with it the identifiers FS-2004P-111. Both my MS64 and 65 have the same variety. I have two questions i think... one, DDO should have the doubling on the jefferson face not the handshake side, correct? sort of a dumb question i know but both are encapsulated with the handshake forward and i am telling you guys I am new to varieties but i can not see it on either side. Second question, I bought the only MS65 I have ever seen. i only have seen MS64, why is that? are they stuck in rolls which is my guess.

Does anyone have one that shows nice doubling because i cant see it and i think i am going to have to get the electron microscope to see it.

This variety is rather minor in nature, as doubled dies go, but shows best on the date. It would not be possible to see the doubling distinctly from those ebay pictures.

It is a Doubled Die Obverse, but the grading services often put the reverse up on moderns, since there are so many nickel and state quarter reverse designs, and so few obverse variations to display. This would have been a good time to feature the obverse, however. hm

I used to search rolls of modern nickels for high grades, and found few or none. Poor handling from the Mint and excessive bag marks is the reason why MS64 is the prevalent grade.

At the mints, new coins drop from the press bin, down a chute and fall into a large plastic sack. The sacks are packed onto trucks and delivered to privately owned packaging centers. It is at the packaging/roll stage that the coins get most of their marks - not the mints. However, mint-caused damage increases for quarters and halves due to their weight and the sharp reeded edges.

Because the coins are purchased directly from the Mint, then shipped to me from these centers, I consider the poor handling at the packing and storage facilities to be an extension of today's modern "Mint."

I can't help but think that FS-111 is a typographical error. NGC does use the Cherrypickers Guide for attributions, but the only listing in my 5th Edition is FS-101. Has the 6th Edition been released yet?

Chris

NGC sometimes puts the reverse on the face of the slab. In this case because there are 2 different nickels for the data. Yes DDO means obverse and in your case its the back of the slab. Also sometimes the doubling is very hard to see. The chery pickers guide has nice blown up pictures to look at.

the FS-111 is for both of my coins and every available ebay offering. I understand the idea about "showing" the unique side of the coin on the front and i agree perhaps on a DDO the obverse should be featured.

the handling of the coin is also making sense to me, seems like they should drop them on pillows or fluffy kittens to soften the fall. Thats why i jumped on the MS65, i hadnt seen any higher. PCGS has a fairly inflated (750 price guide value on it.). of course they are not going for anywhere near that.

I can't help but think that FS-111 is a typographical error. NGC does use the Cherrypickers Guide for attributions, but the only listing in my 5th Edition is FS-101. Has the 6th Edition been released yet?

Chris

The older, Early-2000s NGC slab confirms it cannot be from the unpublished 6th edition ;) It is probably a typo, as it does not match the old CP numbering system, either.

Work begins on the 6th edition sometime in early 2016, according to Bill Fivaz.