• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1967 10c SMS NGC MS67UCAM. Best place to sell?

22 posts in this topic

I just got this dime graded from an original 1967 SMS set that cost me under $10. The dime now is worth a considerable premium as it is close to a top pop. I'm hoping for it to bring top dollar. My question is what is the best place to sell it? Here on the NGC boards, great collections, or a consignor on ebay? I'm interested in Great Collections, but know little about this outfit. Any help would be appreciated.

Great collections is an excellent place to consider. The guy who runs the place is Ian, I think he frequents this board but I see him also at PCGS. Great Collections web site will provide contact info though.

The first place to consider is the Buy-Sell-Trade boards here or at PCGS depending on who graded the coin. The people who play the registry set games are easy to verify and then you settle upon a price with no commission.

You can consign your coin with kryptonitecomics (Shane) a seller on e-bay regarded for excellent pictures however, from the time you ship to him to the date of sale being final can go almost 30 days, so consider that. He has an excellent following on e-bay so your coin will get exposure. If it's top pop material, he'll include that in the listing.

If you have any further questions, PM me.

Would "Kind'a Nice Collections" auction site work? It's in Mandarin but think of the bids a genuine coin would bring?..... ;) (OK -- too late in the morning for humor....)

I would try to find who is getting top dollar for these and contact them to see what the interest level is. Often the top dealers in an area, in this case MCM, Mr. Tomaska, etc. are the top buyers as the vest pockets and collectors take a while to be interested. ebay is always an option at buy it now or reserved auctions. GC brings market value usually.

I'm not sure the market value. Its a tough coin to find numbers on. PCGS and NGC price guides have it valued around $1,300 - $1,400. I cant find old auction info of any kind except there is one for sale in a PCGS slab for a Buy it Now of somewhere around $1300. That's all I got.

What is the market value of his coin?

$350 - $450 based on Heritage Auction records for the 1967 NGC SMS 67 UCAM 10c pieces. A NGC example has not sold since 2011, and the prices on PCGS examples that have sold since then seem to be lower than the past suggesting that the market is softer than before. With that said, I also caution the OP to approach valuation carefully. Not all DCAM or cameo coinage is created equally. I don't trade these, but I know for older coins (e.g. pre-1950), the spread within the same grade/designation can be large depending on the quality of the mirrors and the contrasts. This is also one of the areas where plastic makes a large difference.

Hmmmm...so the "price guides" don't seem to be leading to Reality Land. Is that a consistent situation?

Yes. This is true across the spectrum (and includes classic coins), but is especially prevalent and pronounced with moderns.

All of those are in PCGS plastic. Regardless of whether it is always fair or not, PCGS moderns often carry large premiums over corresponding NGC coins. Pull the PCGS auction records from the same period when the last several NGC coins were sold, you will see a disparity in the price realized.

All of those are in PCGS plastic. Regardless of whether it is always fair or not, PCGS moderns often carry large premiums over corresponding NGC coins. Pull the PCGS auction records from the same period when the last several NGC coins were sold, you will see a disparity in the price realized.

You will see a disparity in prices realized because of toning, attractiveness and the venue at which a coin is sold. Whether it is under graded or over graded will make a difference as well.

You will see a disparity in prices realized because of toning, attractiveness and the venue at which a coin is sold. Whether it is under graded or over graded will make a difference as well.

I don't disagree that there are other factors to consider as well, but the PCGS plastic premium is real and does matter when liquidating this type of coin.

I don't disagree that there are other factors to consider as well, but the PCGS plastic premium is real and does matter when liquidating this type of coin.

I do not see where we disagree at all. I posted the links for the benefit of the OP.

I do not see where we disagree at all. I posted the links for the benefit of the OP.

Sorry - I misunderstood. I thought you were challenging the prices listed from Heritage and suggesting that this coin would sell as much as the PCGS samples. I would be very pleasantly surprised if that happens unless the contrasts are unusually strong. If the coin was mine and if it was all there for the grade and designation, I would have attempted to cross it to PCGS first unless I listed it myself on the boards or as a BIN on eBay.

Yes, PCGS Moderns typically sell for many times the price of the same coin in an NGC holder; and while I am on the fence about whether or not to still consider SMS coinage "Modern," the pricing situation remains the same.