• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

56 Franklin Half Grading Question

8 posts in this topic

I am fairly new to collecting and grading, although I have been learning a considerable amount. I have a keen eye for small details and my local dealer has picked up on that about me. I have not sent any coins in for grading but have a few set aside that my dealer suggested that I have graded. Here is what I believe to be a 56 type 1 Franklin. You probably cant tell by the pics but it has the "E" in liberty filled, doubling on the "B" in Liberty, Die clash through the E Pluribus Unum, Doubling of 1956 and doubling around the nose with a few "Boogers. It also has quite a few die file lines and a couple other small items. The coin also has a good luster and FBL in my opinion. Is it worth having this coin graded? Any thoughts?

157887.jpg.22855b113c01e5deb14b2a8b9df65738.jpg

157895.jpg.8c8dc923eb8038a70daefd02cb34dc4f.jpg

157896.jpg.b897a8ec1d3fd7c918a9199184edf9a6.jpg

157897.jpg.96d00fa9d1199ef5d1fff50069cacd53.jpg

I want to point out that the TYPE 1 variety is only a variety on the 1956 proof. All of the businss strike Franklins are type 1.

Far as grade, it's hard to tell by the pic, but I believe 56 are pretty easily found in better grades, so I'm assuming that affects the value. Just how much I'm not sure.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't see FBL on the coin (though the images don't allow for a good look). Unless it is FBL, it would need to grade at least MS66 to be worth the fees.

Welcome to the forum.

As indicated, the type 1, type 2 deal is only a 1956 Proof consideration. Beyond that the coin would need to be absolutely perfect with no scuffs, hits or marks to justify the expense of grading. Unfortunately, yours shows enough post mint hits to make it approximately a $20 coin. Encapsulation is more than the value of the coin.

This is why the board exists. Ask questions, get answers and avoid losing money with mis-steps.

I am fairly new to collecting and grading, although I have been learning a considerable amount. I have a keen eye for small details and my local dealer has picked up on that about me. I have not sent any coins in for grading but have a few set aside that my dealer suggested that I have graded. Here is what I believe to be a 56 type 1 Franklin. You probably cant tell by the pics but it has the "E" in liberty filled, doubling on the "B" in Liberty, Die clash through the E Pluribus Unum, Doubling of 1956 and doubling around the nose with a few "Boogers. It also has quite a few die file lines and a couple other small items. The coin also has a good luster and FBL in my opinion. Is it worth having this coin graded? Any thoughts?

This is CONECA DDO-002 which is easily recognized by the filled E. The entire obverse will show extra thickness on the letters and separation in many places. This die developed a strong clash and is regularly recognized as FS-401 or FS-402 at PCGS, depending on the strength of the clash. This appears to be an early strike after the clash took place. It looks at least MS64, and probably FBL under PCGS standards. It is worth substantially more than $20 if it gets one of those designations.

This is CONECA DDO-002 which is easily recognized by the filled E. The entire obverse will show extra thickness on the letters and separation in many places. This die developed a strong clash and is regularly recognized as FS-401 or FS-402 at PCGS, depending on the strength of the clash. This appears to be an early strike after the clash took place. It looks at least MS64, and probably FBL under PCGS standards. It is worth substantially more than $20 if it gets one of those designations.

While I agree that it is the DDO-002, I disagree that it is worth a substantial premium. A *very* large percentage of high grade 1956 halves exhibit this DDO, because it came in mint sets. This DDO is widely available up through 66FBL. Especially in lower grades like this 64FBL, the DDO should not garner a large premium. I have owned several of these (one in 65, one in 65 FBL, and 2 in 66FBL).

While I agree that it is the DDO-002, I disagree that it is worth a substantial premium. A *very* large percentage of high grade 1956 halves exhibit this DDO, because it came in mint sets. This DDO is widely available up through 66FBL. Especially in lower grades like this 64FBL, the DDO should not garner a large premium. I have owned several of these (one in 65, one in 65 FBL, and 2 in 66FBL).

The premium would be for the FS-401 or FS-402 designation that this would likely receive due to the heavy clashing.

The DDO is incidental and does not add any premium, whatsoever. There were only 4 obverse dies used in 1956, so roughly a quarter of the mintage was struck from this die. Only the EDS, which does not show a filled E, is scarce, and happens to show about 4 stacked images, rather than just 2!