• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CONCERN REGARDING FAKES - -PLEASE READ

3 posts in this topic

I'm a little concerned about forgeries in the market place, as all who read this should be also.I am aware of a number of forgeries surfacing from China. The bulk majority of these are easy to spot if you know anything about US coins and the counterfeiting techniques used. For example, I've seen Trade Dollar obverse/Morgan Dollar reverse coins. What has become a major concern for me, is coins being sold online, which are in holders and appear to be real.Some of you have probably seen a holder come "unseamed". It wouldn't be hard to switch a coin out, and has probably been done before.My question is, have any of you seen or experienced this firsthand ? I know the reputable grading services stand behind their product. My concern is that a situation such as this seriously undermines the marketplace as a whole, particularly the trust built between a dealer and collector.

I have only ever seen one slab that I thought might have been tampered with. Perhaps of even greater concern are the reholdered "GSA" coins that have been hitting the market over the past couple of years!

James

For one thing NGC holders aint gonna come apart! PCGS holders don't just come apart either.

If you are concerned about fakes don't buy any coin that isn't in a NGC , PCGS , or ANACS holder.

If you buy online stick with sellers who are ANA members. Also do not bid in an eBay auction if the seller doesn't have a return policy. If you are unsure about a seller go to the NGC or PCGS forums and ask about the seller.