• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS/TrueView world coins including a Redbook colonial & a pop. 1 finest known

8 posts in this topic

It's time to trim my "Eclectic Box of 20" by a coin or two. Prices include shipping. PayPal preferred (preferably without fees to me if possible).

French Colonies sou, 1767, with ca. 1793 "RF" (Republique Francaise) counterstamp

Freshly slabbed in a new PCGS Secure Plus F15 holder with the counterstamp given an "XF details" grade on the label. So, interestingly, it's a dual-graded label with a "details" grade, but not a problem coin.

$225

32089336_large.jpg

German States (Saxony): silver 3 mark proof, Battle of Leipzig centennial commemorative, 1913-E

PCGS Secure Plus PR62 DCAM. A few contact marks consistent with the grade, but nice mirrors which do not entirely show in the TrueView image.

$195 (Slightly below my cost)

29851548_large.jpg

German States (Hesse-Darmstadt): silver kreuzer, 1866

FINEST KNOWN, pop. 1/0!

In a new PCGS Secure Plus MS67+ holder. Previously in an NGC MS67 holder, this coin was tied with one other NGC MS67 for finest known.

Now, with the plus-grade bump to PCGS MS67+, it is the finest at either service, with the next-highest PCGS-graded example being an MS65.

If you look at the old images on the NGC cert page, you'll see how amazingly cameo-prooflike this little supergem is.

$200 (Imagine the price its US counterpart of the same era- say a 3cS or half dime- would go for in prooflike MS67+!)

***SOLD***

32089337_large.jpg

Too bad you crossed that Kreuzer over to PCGS.... :(

How come? Now it's pop 1 and finest known, instead of pop 2 and tied for finest known.

And we have nicer images without those gnarly white prongs swallowing up a good portion of that small coin and getting in the way.

Give the sponsor of these boards their due- they're great, and they get all my ancients, and they probably have a much bigger share of the World coin market- but my distaste for the white plastic inserts in general and the prongs in particular is one reason the people Across The Street get most of my non-ancient submissions.

Had it not been for the dreaded, intrusive prongs, I may never have risked the crackout and would've been happy with the original NGC plastic.

In this case, I think that gamble paid off. Other times, I'll admit it hasn't.

Before the outcome was known, somebody told me I had big cojones to crack a 67. Heh heh. :devil:

It's a pet peeve of mine when people claim the "finest known" -- it's not the finest known, it's the finest graded among those seen by PCGS and NGC. Removing this coin from the NGC pops, they have graded a total of 2 of these (one in MS67 and one in MS65). PCGS has graded a whopping 8. So, of the 10 coins seen between PCGS and NGC, this is the best. Of course, they haven't seen the other 246,990 that were minted! :)

Regardless, it's a nice coin, and should sell itself without the marketing "eBay-esque" finest known hype. :D

Jason may have been expressing preference to NGC as this coin sure does look like it would have a good shot at a PL designation if it had been resubmitted to NGC for designation review. It's glowing!! Someone will get a VERY nice coin, regardless of the flavor of the tomb :grin:

Jason may have been expressing preference to NGC as this coin sure does look like it would have a good shot at a PL designation if it had been resubmitted to NGC for designation review. It's glowing!! Someone will get a VERY nice coin, regardless of the flavor of the tomb :grin:

Oh, yes, sorry if I wasn't clear on that point. It's a gorgeous coin, and congrats on your upgrade, but.... PCGS doesn't label anything PL (a position which is just plain dumb, if you ask me). NGC will designate it as PL. I would rather have a PL than a +.

Distinction noted. Of course we'll never know if it's really THE finest known from the entire mintage. I was going by slab pops, of course, as most people do. Didn't mean to lapse into eBay-speak ("L@@K! RARE! LQQK!" lol). perhaps "Finest graded" would've been a more apt description.

I didn't consider the possibility of a PL designation and didn't know PCGS wouldn't have done it. I only know that I like TrueView images since I am a poor to marginal coin photographer myself, and as mentioned, it frustrates me to not be able to have good photos taken after a coin is entombed in NGC plastic, due to the prongs. They didn't bother me so much at first, but over time, as I've come to want increasingly better images of my coins, I've come to hate them, almost to the point of irrationality. Have an NGC ancients sub going off soon so I'm struggling to get good pix made before those are entombed like Han Solo.

In any event, the kreuzer is sold now. The buyer hadn't even seen the "finest known" hype, probably, and bought the coin on its merits, which are plenty, regardless of the plastic. :)

Distinction noted. Of course we'll never know if it's really THE finest known from the entire mintage. I was going by slab pops, of course, as most people do. Didn't mean to lapse into eBay-speak ("L@@K! RARE! LQQK!" lol). perhaps "Finest graded" would've been a more apt description.

I didn't consider the possibility of a PL designation and didn't know PCGS wouldn't have done it. I only know that I like TrueView images since I am a poor to marginal coin photographer myself, and as mentioned, it frustrates me to not be able to have good photos taken after a coin is entombed in NGC plastic, due to the prongs. They didn't bother me so much at first, but over time, as I've come to want increasingly better images of my coins, I've come to hate them, almost to the point of irrationality. Have an NGC ancients sub going off soon so I'm struggling to get good pix made before those are entombed like Han Solo.

In any event, the kreuzer is sold now. The buyer hadn't even seen the "finest known" hype, probably, and bought the coin on its merits, which are plenty, regardless of the plastic. :)

LordMarcovan, sorry I didn't mean to derail your For Sale thread -- you always have super cool and super nice coins. Someone got a very nice and uber-gem little German minor. I wish you luck with the other two cool coins you posted. (thumbs u

Best, Brandon