• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Pyramids

6 posts in this topic

A few new additions to my "A King's Ransom" custom set.

"The World's First Pyramid Coin", minted by the Pobjoy Mint for the Isle of Man, these three "pyramid" triangle coins were minted in 2008 to celebrate the return of the Tutankhamun exhibition to London. These coins come in a heavy golden pyramid display case (pictured below) with a certificate of authenticity, and depict various images from within the Tutankhamun tomb.

Tut's tomb is the most complete ancient Egyptian burial site discovered to date, and the artifacts discovered within have toured the world on display in various museums since its discovery in 1922. The most famous piece probably being King Tut's death mask, which is currently on display in the Cairo Museum (and is depicted below on the full 1oz gold piece).

The 1/5oz coin depicts Tut sitting on his gold throne, the 1/2oz coin depicts a wall of Tut's tomb with his coffin in the center, and the 1oz coin depicts Tut's iconic death mask surrounded by various hieroglyphs.

There were very few of these sets made, only 999, and they bring a bit of a premium already as these were the first in the Tutankhamun commemorative series (later coins include sand from Tut's burial site, and others feature high relief pyramids), the full set contains 1.7oz of pure gold, and most sets were broken up.

16884.jpg

See more journals by Alan Lastufka

When I went to Egypt, I visited several of the tombs in the Valley of the Kings (and the nearby Valley of the Queens). There are limestone chips all over the valley floor - pebbles painstakingly removed from the tombs by the creators as they hewed out these final palaces of the pharaohs. We were strongly cautioned not to pick up and take any of these rocks..... so, of course, I don't have 2 of them sitting on my bookshelf.

physics-fan3.14, that's awesome! I've never been, but I recently bought a raw 2009 silver coin form this commemorative series, which features a locket of sand collected from inside Tut's burial tomb embedded in the coin. Sending that off for grading soon, than I can add it to my collection here and post more photos. Here's a picture of the raw coin.

That's cool. :cool:

I'd be even more interested in a pyramid pyramid coin or any pyramid coin depicting something from the much earlier great pyramid building era.

Mebbe with a reference to Geoff the Talking Mongoose on it. ;)

very nice picture with your post! Beautiful coins!!

I have a custom set of my Isle of Man coins graded by NGC. Links below if you would like to see.

see https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=16419

or click on: ddr70 Isle of Man Custom Set

I'd love to take a look at that but it seems the set is private. Your links don't work and when I went to your profile page, I couldn't find any custom sets for Isle of Man coins.