• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1812/1 Overdate Reverse?

10 posts in this topic

Ok so I am under the impression that fastest way to see if you have an overdate is to look at the banner on the reverse and see where it ends.

If the banner 'ends' in line with the end of the "A" in America than it is NOT an overdate but the banner is more to the left it is an overdate?

Is this correct?

If you can't tell that its an overdate by looking at the date, who really cares?

And that isn't meant to sound snarky - but the whole point of having an overdate is to see the overdate. I don't want to have to look at some other diagnostics...

If you can't tell that its an overdate by looking at the date, who really cares?

Maybe it is just me but this is a VERY hard to see overdate. I mean very.

If I ever find a Large 8 overdate that would be one hell of a reason to care.

Hmmm...many imaginary things are very hard to see - even ancient overdates (or are they "Overtondates"?)

PS: It's called a scroll or sometimes ribbon in mint contemporary documents.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Though this overdate is disappointing as such varieties go, the O-101 die marriage is rare (R-5) and thus desirable for that reason alone. It's not the overdate feature that gives it its premium value.

I assume you are trying to ID the Large 8 overdate

1812/1 O-101

As that one is the super valuable one.....Trust me that the odds are stack against you in finding an undiscovered one....

The other has a small 8 so is easy to spot

1812/1 O-102

and for those who would like a quick ID page,

All 1812's on one page

And that isn't meant to sound snarky - but the whole point of having an overdate is to see the overdate. I don't want to have to look at some other diagnostics...

Collectors of die varieties want this marriage because it is rare. That it happens to be an overate is a bonus.