• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first post.

13 posts in this topic

I am jason. I am new to coin collecting. And I am giving this forum a shot. So, I have recently sent coins to pcgs and am waiting for my first coins to be certified. Instead of just sending them the coins I am asking you first. I am listing all the coins here. I appreciate any advice you folks will give

Are these two coins "1960D, D over D, small date over large date?"

02-1960D.jpg?dl=0

03%201960D.jpg?dl=0

Is this a 1971 Double Die Obverse? 01-1971%201c.jpg?dl=0

Is this a 1969-S Doubled Die Obverse?

09-12%201969S.jpg?dl=0

Is this a 1970S, small date. (high 7)? 1971%201c.jpg?dl=0

Is this a 1946-S, S over D? 1946S%20error.jpg?dl=0

Take the url to the end of the jpg and paste it into a new tab and the image will show up.

Frankly I'm not seeing anything in the images but they really need to have close ups of the important areas.

Welcome Jason,

Below are the ways to post photos:

Direct or Photobucket: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3722603#Post3722603

Collectivecoin.com: create an account and add coins to your list. To post then, bring up photo, click "forum" and then hit ctrl-V in the forum message window.

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the forum.

If you're new to collecting the best advice I can provide is to purchase coins already encapsulated by NGC, PCGS or ANACS until you're certain what you're doing. Any of the others won't be fairly recognized when it comes time to sell.

Additionally, read and understand, because many coins will double in price going just one grade up. There's a lot of mistreated coins (cleaned usually) that aren't worth beans anymore. Don't get trapped.

There are a number of very smart people here and across the street. Don't be afraid to ask a few questions.

Enjoy!!

welcome to the forum... it was not long ago and i was in your shoes; now i am the most insightful poster and most well liked. Follow my lead and you will be fine. My lead happens to be what everyone else has said to you so far......

real advice is as follows.....

1. buy already graded coins until you know what you are looking at.... takes a while. Grading services get it wrong occasionally, but dealers and sellers of coins tend to like their own coins and you are at their mercy......

2. do not submit any coin that has a value of less than (probably 100 dollars???) - ask for others input on this, but it is too expensive to submit. I submitted two 1964P roosevelt dimes i was hoping for MS67FT and they returned to me MS66FT - cost me 100 dollars total to submit and ship etc.

3. ANA grading standards 7th edition = must have..... i know nothing about coin grading, truly nothing, but i go to the forum entitled "buddy, can you spare a grade" and i can look at the coins and figure out the same grade everyone else comes up with not knowing anything but how to read.

4. start with one series of coins to get your feet wet. learn the ins and outs of one series before expanding. this is now a life long passion for me and if that is what it becomes for you, you will have plenty of time to learn about other aspects slowly

I would not recommend sending in any coin unless the value is substantial in doing so, $150 or more and you are pretty sure it will straight grade. Otherwise you will be flushing money down the toilet, a lesson many of us have learned the hard way.

Welcome to the forums ! As an Italian-American you have a rich history in coins !

Some of the most prolific coin designers of the 20th century were immigrant Italian Americans. One of my most favorite stories is that of Anthony de Francisci...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_de_Francisci

And then you have Frank Vittor...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Vittor#Commemorative_works

And a more recent favorite - Frank Gasparro, Chief Engraver of the US Mint...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Gasparro

There are more but US coins and Italians go hand in hand !