• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1851 large cent

6 posts in this topic

My grade would be EF-45. The coin has a lot sharpness, but appears to have very little, if any luster. If the coin has more luster in hand, it could grade as high as AU-55, but I doubt that from the photos. AU-50 would be its best chance to go higher.

thanks for your reply Bill. I guess I have more to learn about luster on the old coppers. I thought the surfaces and color looked great on this coin. I was thinking mid AU for it. If its only EF45 I probably overpaid. Had a $25 ebay certificate so the coin cost $64 with shipping.

This 1857 is a nice Unc. My grade is MS-64, Brown, and it's raw. The type of luster you see here you should see in a diminished state on a nice AU.

And yes, old copper does have luster, even after it has turned brown.

1857LargeCentO-3.jpg1857LargeCentR-3.jpg

Your coin could might still grade AU, given what I perceive as lower modern standards.

I'd probably call it AU-50. That represents a silent downgrade for a few reasons: the strike is really not good (especially in the dentilation), and the luster is non-existent. For a circulated coin to get a good AU grade, it really needs to show some luster. The wear on the coin looks consistent with an AU-53 grade - but the value is going to be a bit lower (hence the 50).

Overall though, it appears to be an attractive coin.