• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any chance it won't straight grade?

15 posts in this topic

Just picked this one up, considering submitting it. The 2 sided, same colored, circular pattern has me slightly concerned about sending it in. I have not had good luck in the past. Any second opinions?

$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

Nothing immediately jumps out at me as being wrong. Interpreting your pictures, I think it is probably attractive. I can't get an idea of the grade from those pics, but it looks to be FBL (of course, for a 53D, it would be more unusual if it weren't).

I think that it will get a grade, but I'm not sure that the grade will be high enough to make grading it worth the expense.

From THAT picture, I don't think that it has great eye appeal, but that's my opinion from that photo.

Hey DW- Grade that coin. . You need to learn somehow.

I'm not quite sure, since we're on the Internet, how you mean that. Is that you saying "maybe if you send it in, you'll finally get what's coming to you."?

I just received it in the mail. The colors are darker than in the photo, and very beautiful. There are a few places with big luster grazes that are slightly distracting. I think it deserves at least a 64+FBL.

Hey DW- Grade that coin. . You need to learn somehow.

I'm not quite sure, since we're on the Internet, how you mean that. Is that you saying "maybe if you send it in, you'll finally get what's coming to you."?

I can't say for sure what he meant - but I would interpret it like this: Formulate an opinion of what you think the coin should grade. Send it in, and see how close you were. This is a valuable learning opportunity to compare how you would grade a coin with the TPG grade.

Although, if you grade it 64+FBL, I wouldn't recommend sending it in. It isn't worth it.

If the toning is REALLY nice, a 64-65FBL coin is still $200.

I say this because I'm not sure how the TPG is grading luster grazes.

My other reasoning is that I need to send in a bunch of coins to lower my rate.

If the toning is REALLY nice, a 64-65FBL coin is still $200.

I say this because I'm not sure how the TPG is grading luster grazes.

My other reasoning is that I need to send in a bunch of coins to lower my rate.

Can you try and take some pictures yourself, and post them? That might give us a better/different view, and we may be able to tell you something more/different.

Ok, posting. These aren't bad huh? I literally JUST got a new lamp, and with it, I can take good images and tell most scratches are luster grazes, albeit big ones. So maybe with the heavy toning, 65 is more in the ballpark.

IMG_2375_zpslqk6t6ph.png

IMG_2370_zpscdpd1ydl.png

I was simply saying, send it in! That way you can begin to understand what a coin that looks like x in-hand might grade. I dont know what luster grazes are, maybe flow lines? Regardless, it is a 65 IMO, the color is good IMO, and I think if you aRe feeling like you should send it in, Do it. Do that enough times, and see how often your instincts were/are correct. ... wallah, you are learning.