• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bugs Bunny Franklin GTG

20 posts in this topic

Kind of hard to judge with that style of photography - it is emphasizing the toning, but hides the luster and marks. I will say though - that is a nice, strong BB!

My best guess of grade will be 63 or 64. The numerous fingerprints on obverse and reverse really kill the eye appeal for me, as does the spots behind Ben's head. The TPGs don't punish fingerprints as much as they should, so its probably a 64.

It looks FBL at PCGS, not at NGC.

Kind of hard to judge with that style of photography - it is emphasizing the toning, but hides the luster and marks. I will say though - that is a nice, strong BB!

My best guess of grade will be 63 or 64. The numerous fingerprints on obverse and reverse really kill the eye appeal for me, as does the spots behind Ben's head. The TPGs don't punish fingerprints as much as they should, so its probably a 64.

So are these grades (I don't know how to quote 2 posts) based on the fingerprints?

So are these grades (I don't know how to quote 2 posts) based on the fingerprints?

Mine is; I can't speak for afterword. The negative eye appeal of the fingerprints drives the grade down for me - but a lot of collectors (and TPGs) feel differently and don't punish them as much as I do.

I am also being conservative with the grade because I just can't see the surface well, so I err on the side of caution.

This should grade MS64+ or MS65, assuming the pictures are not hiding any marks. It is even more dubious to try to evaluate bell lines from a photograph, as they disappear at certain angles and lighting conditions.

The chalky old-time prints and roll haze/residues seen here rarely seem to affect the grades assigned by the TPGs, rightly or wrongly so.

It looks like a solid 65FBL to me.... for anyone questioning the FBL designation, we all know it's the bottom set of lines we are looking at correct?

For PCGS and CAC standards, yes. NGC also requires that the upper set of bell lines be complete for its FBL designation. This is why I called it MS65 FBL by PCGS standards and MS65 by NGC standards.

I would leave this piece alone at the MS65FBL level. The luster grazes on the lower bell are enough to prevent MS66 in most cases. Send it to CAC and get a green been on this old holder!

I've never mailed anything in. I always submit at the shows. Does anyone know if CAC will be at Long Beach?

I would leave this piece alone at the MS65FBL level. The luster grazes on the lower bell are enough to prevent MS66 in most cases. Send it to CAC and get a green been on this old holder!

I've never mailed anything in. I always submit at the shows. Does anyone know if CAC will be at Long Beach?

CAC hasn't done a show in a long, long time. You either need to obtain submission privileges yourself (there is a waitlist) or have a dealer submit it for you. To be honest, I don't see this receiving a gold sticker. I am not sure that a CAC green sticker would do much for a $100 coin. IMHO, CAC offers are also more conservative than they once were with their offering price, so I don't really see much value to a green sticker on less expensive material although it hasn't always been that way.

CAC hasn't done a show in a long, long time. You either need to obtain submission privileges yourself (there is a waitlist) or have a dealer submit it for you. To be honest, I don't see this receiving a gold sticker. I am not sure that a CAC green sticker would do much for a $100 coin. IMHO, CAC offers are also more conservative than they once were with their offering price, so I don't really see much value to a green sticker on less expensive material although it hasn't always been that way.

In MS65FBL this is a $200-$300 coin.

What are you basing your evaluation on? The last two to sell per PCGS Coin Facts sold for less than $100, and your pricing seems consistent with MS66 FBL.

Edited: Never mind; I was not awarding any premium for the variety. Mea culpa.

What are you basing your evaluation on? The last two to sell per PCGS Coin Facts sold for less than $100, and your pricing seems consistent with MS66 FBL.

;) Yep, its an FS-401. Granted, it's a little harder to get full price because the variety is not on the holder; but at the same time, it would be a shame to loose the green holder!

;) Yep, its an FS-401. Granted, it's a little harder to get full price because the variety is not on the holder; but at the same time, it would be a shame to loose the green holder!

I am happy with the coin being in that holder, not being so confident it will upgrade. I think the point about the prints and luster grazes is totally right. I also thought for a second there that I had overpaid!