• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Somtimes........

16 posts in this topic

The seller states that the coin has above average eye-appeal, so my guess is that it looks noticeably better than portrayed in the pictures. If it doesn't, then I disagree with their opinion.

DL usually has bad pictures... but there has to be some grain of truth there. I cannot imagine a scenario where those pictures translate into an attractive coin. I grade that piece BU - Butt Ugly.

Yuk! But this is also said while understanding that the seller uses really really really bad scans to sell stuff. I never go to the website because of it. It is hard for me to understand how people wade through that stuff.

How the light strikes a coin can make an otherwise attractive coin appear quite unattractive. This may be the case with the coin in question, or it could just be a less than attractive bust quarter. There is no way to know from just the image provided.

"It is hard for me to understand how people wade through that stuff."

"Numis-waders" with hip boots....sold at all major coin shows....and bass fishing shops.

I guess I have no idea what an A,B vs. C coin for the grade is:

https://www.davidlawrence.com/product/415038/1806-25c-pcgscac-f12-bust-quarters-1796-1838/

(shrug)

Best, HT

It might be an A on the following scale:

A - Approaching acceptability or better

B- Barely feasible that the graders were sober in placing the coin in a problem free holder

C - Canine Quality; a true dog

At least it doesn't have corrosion or a huge scratch. I like CAC, I really do, but coins like this have me wondering where the guidelines for market acceptability and eye appeal are these days. (shrug) It isn't something I would buy regardless.

Edited to add: And of course, I am basing this on DL's scans. I might feel differently if I saw the coin in hand.

DL is saved as a "favorite" in my dealer's list. I can't tell you the last time I've been on the site because the photos are just awful. It's near impossible to get an idea of what anything will look like in hand.

I guess I have no idea what an A,B vs. C coin for the grade is:

https://www.davidlawrence.com/product/415038/1806-25c-pcgscac-f12-bust-quarters-1796-1838/

(shrug)

Best, HT

It might be an A on the following scale:

A - Approaching acceptability or better

B- Barely feasible that the graders were sober in placing the coin in a problem free holder

C - Canine Quality; a true dog

At least it doesn't have corrosion or a huge scratch. I like CAC, I really do, but coins like this have me wondering where the guidelines for market acceptability and eye appeal are these days. (shrug) It isn't something I would buy regardless.

Edited to add: And of course, I am basing this on DL's scans. I might feel differently if I saw the coin in hand.

touché :roflmao:

C'mon....it's "original".

meh

jom

PS: DL's photos are awful so who knows what it looks like in person. You can find out by a purchase then when you don't like it send it back for only a 10% re-stocking fee. :devil:

As everyone has noted I don't think any real conclusion can be made from these photos. Nobody gets it right 100% of the time but I have a hard time thinking that CAC would have missed it by that much if those photos are accurate .I'm most surprised that Bill hasn't been along to tell us that this is just another example of how CAC is killing the hobby, lol.