• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned vs artificially toned ?'s How to tell one from another.

5 posts in this topic

This is more a general question. I seem to be unable to tell the difference if a coin was artificially toned short of when my 4 year old takes a marker to one!

Is there a handy link or something me started or on the right train of mind? All toning seems artificial to me, maybe thats my problem.

Thanks again.

If you are talking about toned silver, this is going to take practice. I'm sure there are many other threads here and ATS on this topic. First of all, not everyone even agrees on what is "natural" and what is "artificial" although most experts agree on what the TPGs have often deemed "market acceptable". Is there something specific you wanted to know?

This is a very complex subject, and it is also controversial. There are silver coins, especially some Morgan Dollars, that some collectors will very high prices, that I would reject out of hand.

Generally if the colors are very bright and flashy, I would be suspect. Sometimes if the colors really take you back, they are too good to be true,

I don't collect colorful coins for the most part, although I did like original coins that have not been dipped.

A good thing for you to do is to look for some threads where people ask opinions about a given coin and read what people say.

This is more a general question. I seem to be unable to tell the difference if a coin was artificially toned short of when my 4 year old takes a marker to one!

Is there a handy link or something me started or on the right train of mind? All toning seems artificial to me, maybe thats my problem.

Thanks again.

It takes years of experience to discern the differences between AT and NT.

Things you'll want to read up on include the following:

• Natural Color Progressions
  • Pullaway Toning
  • Elevation Chromatics

Interesting. It is like the numbers matching vs restomod debates on the Mustang boards with the toned vs artificially toned talk I am finding on google.

This site http://www.silverdollarco.net/blogs/the-silver-dollar-scoop/9867284-how-to-tell-the-difference-between-artificially-naturally-toned-coins led me to one with tons of info on Mogans in particular.

I am working up an idea (maybe the obvious) that if you have a really nice coin or are spending big money on a MS60+ whatever it is best to really make sure it is not artificially toned. The coin I posted above is more for enjoyment. If my kid touches it I don't lose big money so its just important it is attractive.

My automotiva analogy is my 68 was no where near rare and had many aftermarket parts when I got it. So my best course is just to make it a solid enjoyable car with the best 2015 brakes and suspension parts money can buy letting the GT500 (and now Mach1) guys worry about the factory correct 1968 quality brake lines.