• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how about posting coins, medals or tokens with pretty designs

43 posts in this topic

.....or in a guys case.....handsome :HMMMMM; :D

1898 TRANS-MISSISSIPPI AND INTERNATIONAL EXPOSITION OMAHA, NE HK-283

Official Medals struck in Mint Exhibit from dies made at Philadelphia Mint. Obverse is composite picture

"of…the most beautiful women in the Trans-Mississippi country" while reverse was designed by T. R. Kimball, Omaha.

About "25,000 of these coins were sold".

I have always loved this design and one day will find a beautiful toned silver example

j

2mnopcy.jpg

2hnqhqa.jpg

25hzt3o.jpg

Here is the medal that was awarded to General Daniel Morgan for his victory at the Battle of the Cowpens during the Revolutionary War. This was execuated by Augustin Dupre who also designed the Libertas Americana medal.

This is an example of the French piece, made with replacement dies, circa 1838. The original die pair was lost very soon after the first medals were struck. In the 1830s Morgan's family stated that his original medal had been lost and asked for a replacement. The French made a virtually indentical copy of the original dies and struck these pieces. This new die was then sent to America and used at the Philadelphia Mint to produce additional examples. The Philadelphia Mint pieces have a slightly different edge. I have an example of the Philadelphia Mint piece as well.

Many people think that this is the best design in the Comitia Americana series.

DanMorganO.jpgDanMorganR.jpg

Here is the medal that was awarded to General Daniel Morgan for his victory at the Battle of the Cowpens during the Revolutionary War. This was execuated by Augustin Dupre who also designed the Libertas Americana medal.

This is an example of the French piece, made with replacement dies, circa 1838. The original die pair was lost very soon after the first medals were struck. In the 1830s Morgan's family stated that his original medal had been lost and asked for a replacement. The French made a virtually indentical copy of the original dies and struck these pieces. This new die was then sent to America and used at the Philadelphia Mint to produce additional examples. The Philadelphia Mint pieces have a slightly different edge. I have an example of the Philadelphia Mint piece as well.

Bill, thanks for posting this. I have the pewter restrike example that was released in the 1970s. That set of pewter Comitia medals can be had for very cheaply, and the designs are very well done. I agree, this is one of the better / best among them.

(thumbs u

Bill, thanks for posting this. I have the pewter restrike example that was released in the 1970s. That set of pewter Comitia medals can be had for very cheaply, and the designs are very well done. I agree, this is one of the better / best among them.

(thumbs u

Great medals everyone!

Glad to know NGC is slabbing the pewter series. I think that can be a fun series on a budget or for a YN.

I was randomly perusing E-Bay one night and by chance I hit upon this German medal that was just spectacular. Immediately I had to have it but it was certified and the seller wanted a little bit too much for it. Well, not deterred by that I went searching and found a raw medal that was about half the cost of the certified medal and it was a sale. The piece is a Wurzbach-685 1844 Berlin Exhibition Medal. The medal is 45mm in diameter and was struck in very high relief. The legend on the obverse is translated, "Remembering the exhibition of German commercial products to Berlin 1844." The inscription on the rock that Germania is seated upon is translated, "Stand together." The reverse legend is translated, "Forward with German diligence and German power." It will be fun when I get a chance to examine all the vignettes on the reverse. More on this piece later that is destined for my Seated Imagery set.

Gary

1844_Germania_Berlin_obv_zps5k8z6r9a.jpg1844_Germania_Berlin_rev_zpsjuzkgw05.jpg

Beautiful stuff, inactually like the first one and almost just bought one on the bay.

I don't have any real favorite medals but 1998 mississippi may donit. Since i dont have a fav metal, I do have a favorite design and thats the mid 1930s texas half high relief comm. Yes I do like the 1917 quarter as well and the libertad, i guess there is a theme? Maybe i should start seeing someone about this.

An interesting award medal designed by Christian Gobrecht, third chief engraver of the US mint. This particular example was awarded in 1844, the year of his death. The medal design was engraved in 1837 and is listed as Julian AM-33. Silver, 39mm.

charitablemechanicassociation_obv_zpsmhy69ssp.jpg

charitablemechanicassociation_rev%202_zps9dfkybgc.jpg

Lot of beautiful pieces shown in this thread. I picked this up a few weekends back at the Buena Park coin show from Mike at Kittle Coins.....A real looker in hand

bgqptv.jpg

2qu3xxv.jpg

2ce6gxh.jpg

5xjxhv.jpg