• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whats going on with this grade ?

12 posts in this topic

i sent a coin in awhile back ,a 1853-o half dollar, it came back with extra fine details, later i noticed it had a one over one on it, i took it out of the case at the time i didnt know better. isent it back in to have that put on it, this time it came back with very fine details and no one over one. it should came back as br 4842 so what gives? i paid the extra for this but i didnt know it was varity and not mint erro

NGC will only do the varieties listed in Varieties Plus. I do not see a 1/1 or anything similar. Before sending in a coin for a variety label you should check there first.

They only do major varieties.

• Administrator

I believe I just found a picture of the coin in question. Unfortunately the image is dark and I am unable to see if it is the variety. The submission I see shows it being sent in for mint error designation, not Variety Plus, which is why it wasn't noted on the holder.

-Paul

i sent a coin in awhile back ,a 1853-o half dollar, it came back with extra fine details, later i noticed it had a one over one on it, i took it out of the case at the time i didnt know better. isent it back in to have that put on it, this time it came back with very fine details and no one over one. it should came back as br 4842 so what gives? i paid the extra for this but i didnt know it was varity and not mint erro

Without seeing the coin, this is the type of question that only NGC could answer. However, a couple of factors are that:

1) It may have been a recognized variety at some point in the past, but it is no longer a recognized variety.

2) If this is a problem coin (details grade rather than numerical grade), you may have a borderline VF vs XF coin. They do not distinguish between the four VF grades, or the two XF grades. If they saw it as a just-made-it 40 last time, they could easily have seen it as a 35 this time. Thus, the coin's grade may have only changed by a single point, which is well within the margin of error.

You are correct, I just did not see it. The OP should have asked for a designation of:

1853 O ARR & RAYS MPD

and checked the box for Variety Plus.

You should contact NGC and let them know what happened.

• Administrator

Please do give us a call. 1-800-NGC-COIN

If you accidentally paid for Mint Error instead of Variety Plus, I'll make sure you don't have to pay for it again. You'll just have to cover shipping both ways.

Thanks!

-Paul