• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is wrong with Ben? (new pictures)

7 posts in this topic

I was looking around on eBay, and I found this. Is it a die break, or did I discover a new FS? If it is, I think it should be called 'cleft lip'. But first, am I right to think this is something?

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-23%20at%202.35.28%20PM_zpso2ngu7v3.png

I was looking around on eBay, and I found this. Is it a die break, or did I discover a new FS? If it is, I think it should be called 'cleft lip'. But first, am I right to think this is something?

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-23%20at%202.35.28%20PM_zpso2ngu7v3.png

Franklin half dollar die varieties are one of our specialties. Franklin halves with minor die clashing on and around the mouth are very common. You have to have something bold that juts out from the lip to get a designation. Moreover, virtually every date and mint has now been discovered with a full fledged "Bugs Bunny" FS-401 clash, or the similar FS-402 clash. I do not see anything on this particular coin that would make it qualify as either, and I see no die breaks or other defects, based on the picture provided. Better images would be helpful.

Here is a nearly complete set of Franklin die state varieties, for reference purposes. Be sure to view the close-ups.

http://www.dmrarecoins.com/inventory.php#!/Grandfather-Mountain-Collection/c/13516034/offset=21&sort=nameAsc