• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color vs. Grade and CAC...

33 posts in this topic

Damn... I want to see this coin now! lol Hope you post a photo once you decide which way you're going with it.

Btw, I pay a premium for color all the time, but just like you, I want the grade to be solid. If I feel like a coin is overgraded but still carries the premium of the slab grade then I always pass. What's 15 more years? haha, j/k.

Hopefully you can negotiate a better purchase and to a number you feel comfortable with. Good luck!

"If it has better than good luster in hand I think I will be pleased. I'm just worried that the coin will be dull and flat. I just don't know how accurate GC's photos are. I think I found a rainbow whale, so to speak."

GC is a great site to get coins. From my experiences, GC pretty much nails the color on toners, but their images tend to wash out the luster just a bit. I think that comes from them trying to get the whole coin 'lit up', so to speak. In hand, the toners I got from them had more luster in hand.

Good luck with your 1921 Peace and post pics when you get it!

Thanks for all the comments you guys definitely made my decision easier... and I will post pics of this one once I get it in hand.

And I dont think I will find another one with as much color... at least 15 yrs tells me that. So Im getting happier with my decision. And I know I will never be able to afford a MS66 example so this one just might be the one.

If it looks better in hand and has nice luster I just may try it for a * - 1921 have a total of 16 star coins and quite honestly I have only seen one toned example - an MS66* that sold in 2004 for just under $5000. And that coin didnt have the color of this coin.

I doubt it will * but its worth a shot.