• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 large cent new pics

8 posts in this topic

It's probably more of an XF or low AU. This coin has problems though. I see some green on it, looks like verdigris. It definitely needs a soak in olive oil to help remove that. You can also help it along with a rose thorn that's not too hard as it can and will scratch your coin if it's too mature.

soaked coin in acetone and then used some verdicare. green areas cleaned up very well. have not taken new pics yet. I thought there was much more detail left on the hair on obverse and the leaves on reverse than an XF coin would have. JMHO

A real AU should have some mint luster on it. The picture makes it look like a dull brown. The piece also needs a soak to remove the green stuff, which I think can be removed without damaging the coin.

If it can't be removed, that is another issue. In that case the piece will net grade down to VF.