• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mel Wacks coin Coming out!

14 posts in this topic

Originally posted by 19Lyds.

On Facebook, Mel announced that he will be producing a new over struck coin to commemorate the Pope's visit in September. The over striking will be onto new 2015 Kennedy Half Dollars.

This will be his 1st Overstruck coin in 30 Years!

How many folks will be interested in these? I know that I will, just to keep my collection up to date.

I've inquired about distributing these but have no idea on the specifics. Has anybody here participated in such a venture in the past?

D63BZvW.png

Originally posted by 19Lyds.

On Facebook, Mel announced that he will be producing a new over struck coin to commemorate the Pope's visit in September. The over striking will be onto new 2015 Kennedy Half Dollars.

This will be his 1st Overstruck coin in 30 Years!

How many folks will be interested in these? I know that I will, just to keep my collection up to date.

I've inquired about distributing these but have no idea on the specifics. Has anybody here participated in such a venture in the past?

D63BZvW.png

I am not fond of this. While I understand the Pontiff will be the first to speak to a joint session, and while I understand a significant reason for the visit is climate change, it is not a visit that should be memorialized in such a manner. The Church is split and very devisive about this visit and the purpose, and it is somewhat of a step back for separation of Church and State. There are many other subjects for an overstrtike that may be more appropriate. It is not lost on me that the coin depicts the first Catholic President, and a person that, if alive, would not endorse such a presentation.

Personally, I like it. I've always wanted a Mel Wacks overstrike.

I don't think you can definitively say that "If alive, (he) would not endorse such a presentation". I wasn't alive and didn't know him, you may have but I doubt it.

Mel is well known for his overstrikes for Papal visits, this just goes along with his other works.

I don't think you can definitively say that "If alive, (he) would not endorse such a presentation". I wasn't alive and didn't know him, you may have but I doubt it.

Mel is well known for his overstrikes for Papal visits, this just goes along with his other works.

Yes, I can. I can recall every adasmant speech and comment that pointedly rejected the idea that he would be beholden to the Vatican. It was thee most volatile nomination and election issue of the time.

A disclosure: I am Catholic, raised by strict Catholic Irish Immigrants. They would not like this either.

As to the artistic merit, I am not versed in the nuances of what is a good work of art and what isn't. But, I don't like it, personally. I think he should also study a bit more on the subject of the Papal nuances of the symbolism he has chosen. He may be surprised.

I'll probably try to get one as I collect a lot of Mel's previous coins, but in comparison to the one he did for the Pope's 1979 Mexico visit, the counterstamp of this new coin lacks detail and just looks cheap.

Also, he's counterstamped Kennedy halves before... would have been much more interesting if he tried something new that hasn't been done in the past. A silver eagle would have been much more interesting and appealing I think.

Here's one of the 1979 counterstamped coins I have:

wackspeso_zpskyip5szw.jpg

MW61979PapalPeso1965UnPesoCoinD.jpg

MW7ADVIONNESPAVLVSPMUSAOCT1-71979CoinfromCatalog.jpg

MW16%20Pope%20Jpohn%20Paul%20Visits%20England_zpsjsypim7j.jpg

The Commemoration is in the "visit", not the subject of the visit.

Hi Everyone. I just wanted to give you a little background on my new counterstamped coins. All of the previous counterstamps were made by Adam Cool based on designs I submitted to him. He did an incredible job. But Adam Cool passed away some time ago and I looked around but couldn't find anyone making counterstamped coins today. I approached someone I had used to strike medals--BEX Engraving--and he agreed to try to counterstamp coins. He created the die from artwork by Paul Connor that BEX modified slightly. The first few coins struck were a disaster--they were cup-shaped and the back of the counterstamp was obliterated. But Chris at BEX did not give up, and finally managed to produce a nice product that I am proud of. It's nice hearing from collectors of my counterstamps. You can reach me at numismel@aol.com or call me at 818-225-1348 California Time. Happy Collecting! Mel

Hi Everyone. I just wanted to give you a little background on my new counterstamped coins. All of the previous counterstamps were made by Adam Cool based on designs I submitted to him. He did an incredible job. But Adam Cool passed away some time ago and I looked around but couldn't find anyone making counterstamped coins today. I approached someone I had used to strike medals--BEX Engraving--and he agreed to try to counterstamp coins. He created the die from artwork by Paul Connor that BEX modified slightly. The first few coins struck were a disaster--they were cup-shaped and the back of the counterstamp was obliterated. But Chris at BEX did not give up, and finally managed to produce a nice product that I am proud of. It's nice hearing from collectors of my counterstamps. You can reach me at numismel@aol.com or call me at 818-225-1348 California Time. Happy Collecting! Mel

Hi, Mel! Welcome to the neighborhood!

You probably saw my post. The reason I don't like the "Pope Visit" is because I think it would have looked nicer if all of the rays were covered, and the stars served as the border. That's just my 2c worth.

Chris

Welcome and thanks for posting Mel! I love the information and background on these.

Will you consider making a silver version of this piece? I think silver is especially nice as it can tone over the years.