• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crossover Score posted by Larz13

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Crossover from PCGS OGH to NGC

Just received back a small hoard of PCGS OGH Franklin Halves crossed over to NGC recently that I had dropped off at the Summer FUN show. It came back with mixed results but a few surprises, including an upgrade shown here. While I would prefer a white coin, this one shows mint set toning which some people love and others....not so much.

Happy collecting! Charleston SC show this weekend, Blue Ridge show next!

16820.jpg

See more journals by Larz13

Every coin I've ever sent in for crossing has crossed, 3 all together, and so I'm batting 100%. But even more, 2 of the 3 crossed to a "+," and another coin I sent went in for conservation, they didn't get all the grunge out of the letters, and there was a fiber left on the Obverse. So, I sent it back, they worked it a little more, and when it came back it had upgraded to a "+."

So, all of my conservation and crossing to Edge Views has been at zero expense, and I may even be ahead due to the upgrades.

All gold coins.

Crosses:

1932 $10 Indian; MS64 to MS64+ (it had a fiber on the reverse and they said it blew off with a puff of air, so no conservation fee to remove the fiber)

1925-D $2.5 Indian; MS65 to MS65+

1881-CC $10 Liberty; AU53 to AU53

Reslab (after conservation):

1849-D G$1; AU58 to AU58+.

Crossovers for me have been about a 50/50 split. Certainly it helps to know a lot about coin grading and the type of coin that you are sending, but sometimes as they say (grading is subjective). With the plus (+) grading now, there is more margin for error, but for most coins, the plus does not buy you much.