• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ironic by KEN LEWIS

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

David Langes Numismatist article on 1934 D coins?

When I read David Langes article in the Numismatist, the blood drained from my body. I had been trying to find a particular 34D coin for over 7 years, and now I knew, everyone would be looking for the same coin, causing it to be even more difficult to locate and probably more expensive. Irony of ironies, I took an expensive chance on an eBay coin, that I couldn't discern the Mint mark on and miracle; it was the coin that after 7 years of searching, allowed me to complete my collection of 1934 25C coins.

happy hunting!!!

See more journals by KEN LEWIS

Congratulations on a good find! Glad this worked out for you.

Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I have looked through thousands of eBay, Heritage, Stacks and other on-line listings for three specific Walking Liberty varieties. Most of the listing photos are so out of focus or lighting is so poor that I can't tell whether the coin is the variety or not, and the ones with clear, detailed photos are definately not the varieties I'm looking for.

Then, at a local coin show last summer, one dealer on the entire tloor had a certified example of one of the dates of interest. I asked him to take it out of his display case for a closer look, and miraculously it was one of the varieties (1944-S/S). One down, two to go.

A few months ago, a dealer listed on eBay two certified examples of one of the two remaining dates. His photos were very clear and one of the two coins was unmistakeably the variety I was looking for. I immediately hit the "Buy it now" button and a few days later, received.....a different coin. The obverse, including slab serial number, matched the listing photo but the reverse was unmistakeably NOT the coin in the listing photo and NOT the variety. Apparently he had the reverse photos mixed up between his two (almost) identical listings, so the search is back on.