• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

On-Site Grading

5 posts in this topic

Searched and didn't find an answer. Checked NGC website and didn't find an answer. Called NGC CS and didn't get what I considered to be a well-explained answer. I may have missed something. Maybe someone here with some experience can help.

-If I attend a show and want a quick, on-site reholder (returned no later than next day due to my show schedule at ANA), can NGC provide that? If so, what would it cost?

-If a reholder is not possible with one day turnaround, can I get a coin regraded as a means to get a one-day turnaround? For a $20K coin, what's the anticipated cost?

-Will that one-day regrade come back in a different holder even if the coin doesn't upgrade?

My goal is to get an NGC-holdered half dime out of one of the older NGC holders (no prongs) into one of the newer NGC holders (with prongs) as a means to enhance light transmission to the surfaces of the coin. As many of you likely know, the non-prong NGC holders really hamper light transmission, and therefore photography, on the tiny coins I collect. It doesn't matter if the coin upgrades or not, I just want the prong type holder.

Thanks in advance.

The prongs are pretty nasty on half dimes, as they are quite imposing. Probably better for photography, but part of that is the crappy plastic that most of the non-prong NGC holders use for the shells. There may be other things that can be done to facilitate photography in the old holder before reholdering it, such as banging the slab on the table so that the coin either tilts a little or moves closer to the clear plastic on the side being photographed.