• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1972 Eisenhower Uncirculated Silver Dollar posted by walnutto

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

TYPE 2 ???

I usually don't bother with buying or collecting Eisenhower Dollars. I have usually bought the mint sets that would include

the Eisenhower Dollar. I have only been able to send in one that was worth grading at all and it was a MS65.

Anyways, I saw a set of the Eisenhower Uncirculated Silver Dollars 1971-1974. No one was really bidding on them and got it

for $35 with shipping. Thinking that perhaps one of them at least would be good enough to send in for grading. I was looking at the mintage and values and if its not at least MS67, its not really worth trying. I saw there was three Types of the

1972 dollar and that made me curious. All the Types were for the Clad dollar not the 1972 silver. I see not indication that one was ever been found.... I believe until today. I have triple checked it and it sure does appear I may have the first 1972 Type 2 Silver Eisenhower Dollar. Looks like it maybe MS66.

The value for the Clads for a MS65 are high like a couple thousand dollars and only 48 in Pop.

I plan on sending this in for grading for the variety Type 2.

Question for anyone that collects these dollars, Should I have it graded in the US Mint packaging or just raw?

Thanks all!

See more journals by walnutto

Hello.

I saw your post, and I'm glad I did for the sake of your wallet. While I don't collect US Coins, I'm a vestpocket seller of them and have a decent knowledge of the field. I hate to burst your bubble but all 1972-S Silver Eisenhower Dollars have the Type 2 Reverse. It's the correct and typical reverse for both proof and unc 1972 40% Silver Ikes and the 1971-S Proof Silver Ikes. The reason the 1972 Type 2 Clad is so scarce is because using this reverse in the minting of clad Ikes was either an error or some sort of testing of a high relief reverse on a clad coin at the Philadelphia Mint in 1972, so the number of Type 2 Clads is very small.

So I'd say...save your grading money on this one.