• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2014 Proof Libertad

6 posts in this topic

I was at the Baltimore coin show and dropped of 20 2014 proof Libertad 1oz coins for grading. Although i have a pretty large foreign collection i have never sold or flipped any of my coins. I have noticed that due to the extreme low mintage of 4600 (?) I thought i could maximize my potential of selling these once they are graded. I have noticed that the pf70 can bring up to 300.00 but not sure what the 69 can bring, any thoughts on these? I also have about 20 graded ms70 1oz libs that i may sell as well to make room for other purchases.

By the way, i did not notice one dealer at the show with libertads, i am sure someone had some but i didn't see any.

Also, if anyone is into these, check out the pop reports from the 2014 and 2015, 2015 has already past the 2014 pops, i think the 2014 is a good year and this is where i am not sure of i should hold on to them or sell now the above. I love libertads so much as they make up the largest part of my foreign collection, i have about 500 ounces altogether including fractionals and of course the monster kilo from last year. Just beautiful stuff and wish there was a bigger collector base as these have such a low mintage year over year and should be worth much more.

Hello Mack, Welcome to the board....2014 PF S1ONZA had a strike of 4,700 last year, and the 2015 PF S1ONZA have not officially been released yet as singles, but have been released in the 5 & 7 piece silver proof sets. The Singles should be later this month.

The 2015 S1ONZA coins you see in the census are the BU or Business strike not the Proof. Proofs are designed as PFUC and the the BU is designated as MS.

Price for the 2014 PF 70 S1ONZA should be about $179 - $189 on ebay, but I have seen some sell for low $200's.....Last year they sold for low as $119 when the big boys were trying to blow out their inventory. If I were selling today 2014 PF 70 on ebay I would do a auction starting at $179. 2014 PF 69 will go for about $70 - $85. A raw 2014 proof probably $60 - $70. Which isn't bad if you figure we bought them last year for $43 raw. Anyway Good luck!

Of course this is just my opinion

I don't believe 4700 is a low mintage unless you are comparing it to proof ASE which if you are, I don't believe is a valid comparison. The US market is an aberration and not remotely the norm. I have included a link below which purports to report the mintages. If it is accurate, the 2014 is somewhat scarcer than recent issues but not versus the earlier dates when I presume it was not as widely collected.

http://donbailey-mexico.com/libertad_mintages.shtml

Edit: I don't see the prices quoted for either the 69 or 70 as particularly low. If an above average percentage is graded, its apparent they are disproportionately bought by Americans, not anyone else.

After I wrote my first paragraph, I also checked the mintages for the Britannia series. The mintages are all lower than 4700 and while I presume the series is somewhat preferred and therefore more expensive, I don't really know.

Another set I really like is the 1911-2011 double dated Canadian with the KGV portrait. I can buy the entire set ungraded for less than the price of the 2014 Libertad PR-70. It isn't part of a series but its easily a better value. The mintage is 6000.

The point I am trying to make is that for a non-US modern NCLT, the mintage is not particular low and in today's market, the prices quoted aren't cheap either. Even for the earlier dates where the mintage is less than 1000, there are still plenty of alternatives (such as from Switzerland) that are in the same range which probably cost about the same or less. There also many "classic" world proofs with comparable or lower mintages also selling for less or much less. One example is the 1953-1958 QEII South Africa Union crowns with mintages between 985 and 5000. There are no 69's or 70's but all can be bought for less than $300 in 66 or even 67.

If you are buying this coin for financial reasons, I believe your best bet is to hold on and hope that the presumably increasing Mexican-American collector base comes to view them as the ASE. This is the only reason I can see for much higher prices. If it happens, I don't expect to see it anytime soon.

I don't believe 4700 is a low mintage unless you are comparing it to proof ASE which if you are, I don't believe is a valid comparison. The US market is an aberration and not remotely the norm. I have included a link below which purports to report the mintages. If it is accurate, the 2014 is somewhat scarcer than recent issues but not versus the earlier dates when I presume it was not as widely collected.

http://donbailey-mexico.com/libertad_mintages.shtml

Edit: I don't see the prices quoted for either the 69 or 70 as particularly low. If an above average percentage is graded, its apparent they are disproportionately bought by Americans, not anyone else.

After I wrote my first paragraph, I also checked the mintages for the Britannia series. The mintages are all lower than 4700 and while I presume the series is somewhat preferred and therefore more expensive, I don't really know.

Another set I really like is the 1911-2011 double dated Canadian with the KGV portrait. I can buy the entire set ungraded for less than the price of the 2014 Libertad PR-70. It isn't part of a series but its easily a better value. The mintage is 6000.

The point I am trying to make is that for a non-US modern NCLT, the mintage is not particular low and in today's market, the prices quoted aren't cheap either. Even for the earlier dates where the mintage is less than 1000, there are still plenty of alternatives (such as from Switzerland) that are in the same range which probably cost about the same or less. There also many "classic" world proofs with comparable or lower mintages also selling for less or much less. One example is the 1953-1958 QEII South Africa Union crowns with mintages between 985 and 5000. There are no 69's or 70's but all can be bought for less than $300 in 66 or even 67.

If you are buying this coin for financial reasons, I believe your best bet is to hold on and hope that the presumably increasing Mexican-American collector base comes to view them as the ASE. This is the only reason I can see for much higher prices. If it happens, I don't expect to see it anytime soon.

+1 (thumbs u

WC brings forward some real good points looking at the libertab strike numbers & market inside the US in context with other world issues available to collect.

below is a link to EBAY where a guy is selling raw 2014. as you can see he has a couple sold in the last couple of days, so with shipping he getting $70 not bad

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-1-oz-Mexican-Silver-Libertad-Proof-Extremely-Low-Mintage-Sold-Out-/111719293256?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1a02fd2148

The 2015 S1ONZA coins you see in the census are the BU or Business strike not the Proof. Proofs are designed as PFUC and the the BU is designated as MS.

Of course this is just my opinion

Thanks, i shohldbhave clarified regarding the census pops, i was referring to the BU and not the proof strikes and the pop on the 2015 BU has already surpassed the 2014 BU pop.

Thanks