• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone read "Collectors' Clearinghouse" in the Feb. 28 issue of CoinWorld?

2 posts in this topic

As many of you have mentioned in previous posts, some collectors are going overboard attempting to acquire certain "error" coins. The Wisconsin "extra leaves" seems to have created a feeding frenzy and the price for a 3-coin set has gone as high as $1100. The question is, "When will the bubble burst?"

Now, comes the discovery of the 2000-P South Carolina quarter and the 2001-P Kennedy half dollar. Don't everyone rush to their favorite internet dealer at once!

I've gone through my SC quarters, and I found 7-out-of-35 that had the "extra twig". That's a pretty high percentage.

As far as the 2001-P Kennedy is concerned, I searched 15 rolls that I have and I found 20 coins as depicted in the article. But, I also found 7 that had the mark in the same location but was shorter. It doesn't look to be the result of a crack, nor does it make sense that two separate dies would have two different gouges in the same location. It is my opinion that these marks were the result of multiple die clashes. What do you think the odds on that would be? I don't know, but in my mind I would think that a set of these would be somewhat rare.

Your opinions, please!

Chris