• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tiger's Eye Toning - New Find

9 posts in this topic

If you are not familiar with Tiger's Eye, Take a Look At It In Polished Form by going to Google and typing in Tiger's Eye.

I found this in a 1976 Proof Set today. Really flashy and cool obverse. I photographed

it in the Proof Set so the images are not the best but still good enough. I'm still having

challenges photographing proof toners but I think I am making progress. I have not

seen something like this before and it really STANDS OUT in the Proof Set.

What do you think? :D

1976-S_1c_PR_TigersEye.jpg

I've heard of cat's eye toning because it is shaped like an eye, but I've never heard of tiger's eye toning as it applies to coins. Can you post photos of other coins with this attribute?

Thanks,

Chris

I've heard of cat's eye toning because it is shaped like an eye, but I've never heard of tiger's eye toning as it applies to coins. Can you post photos of other coins with this attribute?

Thanks,

Chris

This description does not refer to a shape. Tiger's Eye is a STONE. When polished, it looks like this. If you Google Polished Tiger's Eye stone, you will see it. I tried to link to it but the url had special characters in it that did not allow the url to work from the message boards.

This is the only coin that I have ever come across the looks remotely close to this.

Had it not been for the remarkable proof surface and luster, it would have likely just been another coin that I would have described as wood-grain toning that is fairly common.

Thanks,

Chris

This description does not refer to a shape. Tiger's Eye is a STONE. When polished, it looks like this. If you Google Polished Tiger's Eye stone, you will see it. I tried to link to it but the url had special characters in it that did not allow the url to work from the message boards.

This is the only coin that I have ever come across the looks remotely close to this.

Had it not been for the remarkable proof surface and luster, it would have likely just been another coin that I would have described as wood-grain toning that is fairly common.

Oh, I understand now! What I can't understand is why anyone came up with the name "Tiger's Eye" in the first place. It doesn't look anything like an eye at all.

By the way, that is a neat looking coin.

Chris

Thanks,

Chris

Oh, I understand now! What I can't understand is why anyone came up with the name "Tiger's Eye" in the first place. It doesn't look anything like an eye at all.

By the way, that is a neat looking coin.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Yeah, color me clueless on the naming of that stone. hm

Some refer to this type of toning as woodgrain toning because of its similarity to the striations of a piece of oak. I have never heard the term Tiger's Eye in reference to coins, but I agree that this particular piece does resemble that stone, which was present in my rock tumbling kit, as a small child.