• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THIS is an ERROR. ****ANOTHER UPDATE 7/28/15: Lot Withdrawn!****

20 posts in this topic

So Cool!

EDIT: 7/27/2015 at 5:00 PM Eastern. I got an email saying the lot was withdrawn from the auction. I think the lovely government might have something to do with it. Not only was this lot taken away but the Martha Washington non-cancelled DIE was also pulled. I think the government has someone watching all of these major auction houses now?! Let the speculation begin!

EDIT: Another Update 7-28-15: I called Heritage. The person I spoke with asked to call me back after she looked into it.

A few hours later, she called me back and assured me that the Feds did not seize the items and the consigner

was not the person to pull them. It was just decided that this was not the right auction for the items.

No further information was provided but it is my guess that they will just show up in another auction, maybe

Winter FUN? Who knows?

That is very cool. How in the heck did that leave the mint? The only thing I can think of is that it left in someone's pocket. I'm not sure that's possible due to the tight security.

I'm curious to see how much that one hammer's for in the auction.

Destined for the scrap heap, somewhere along the lines by someone, items as such were obviously spirited away by illegal means to be sold for profit, in other words, it was not cherry picked from a bag of cents.

Although it is a spectacular error and in pristine color, the thought that it was obtained under nefarious conditions bothers me, well a little bit anyway.

I can think of one way it could have left the mint legally. WoodenJefferson gave the clue. This was produced back before the Mint used wafflers to "cancel" errors. Most likely this piece was condemned to the scrap heap and was shipped out with the rest of the scrap to the firms that purchased the scarp metal. Someone there recovered it from the scrap. The same way the waffled coins get out today. So if it was "stolen" from anyone it was probably the metal recyclers and not the mint. It might have even bee purchased from the recyclers as scrap metal.

I can think of one way it could have left the mint legally. WoodenJefferson gave the clue. This was produced back before the Mint used wafflers to "cancel" errors. Most likely this piece was condemned to the scrap heap and was shipped out with the rest of the scrap to the firms that purchased the scarp metal. Someone there recovered it from the scrap. The same way the waffled coins get out today. So if it was "stolen" from anyone it was probably the metal recyclers and not the mint. It might have even bee purchased from the recyclers as scrap metal.
Interesting!

Nice.

Once something goes out the door, it no longer is controlled or owned by the mint. Their lawyers would like you to believe otherwise, but scrap, trash, junk, debris - is discarded material and no longer Mint property.

Im starting to visit the coin pages more and more...so much great,interesting stuff(and nice folks).

Now if someone could point me in a Canadian Coin direction...

OP...very,very nifty!

Jimmers

Taking the large photos (which are very nice, kudos to Heritage) and creating a wallpaper for your computer is worth the effort! Very cool.

I wonder what it is being stored in since it is still nice Minty Fresh Red!

ZipLock Bag? Glass Box? Plexiglass Box? hm

Whoever sees this in lot viewing please let us know.

Maybe a kind Heritage Employee will chime in here to let us know?

Taking the large photos (which are very nice, kudos to Heritage) and creating a wallpaper for your computer is worth the effort! Very cool.

I wonder what it is being stored in since it is still nice Minty Fresh Red!

ZipLock Bag? Glass Box? Plexiglass Box? hm

Whoever sees this in lot viewing please let us know.

Maybe a kind Heritage Employee will chime in here to let us know?

Sorry, someone at Heritage ;) searched for the lot in order to be able to answer the question regarding its storage, but was unable to locate it. Fear not, it's not lost, but rather, just in the midst of a great many other items being readied for auction.

If that doesn't spark interest in Mint Errors, nothing will! It's a good think this happened on a pre-1982 cent, as I don't think it would be quite as attractive with flaking copper stretched over zinc, as one sees on more recent error cents.

Someone please save the large images for me. Maybe post the full size images in this thread. I'm not home and can't right now. The fancy new Heritage website does not allow me to save the images from their website on my iPhone. Nice feature!

Another Update 7-28-15: I called Heritage. The person I spoke with asked to call me back after she looked into it.

A few hours later, she called me back and assured me that the Feds did not seize the items and the consigner

was not the person to pull them. It was just decided that this was not the right auction for the items.

No further information was provided but it is my guess that they will just show up in another auction, maybe

Winter FUN? Who knows?